Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SL900 cracked exhaust manifold water jacket, jb weld ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL900 cracked exhaust manifold water jacket, jb weld ???

:emoticonc yeah buddy, imagine my surprise just got this thing and popped the seat off while i had it in the water running and squirt squirt all over the cylinder heads, its cracked on the center of the main exhaust manifold right where the center cylinder pipe converges into the main, looks like a bolt on the top manifold flange got over torqued.. or overheating who knows :emoticonc , any ways.. im gonna jb weld it, cleaned it with acetone and carb cleaner roughed it up good, now.. heres where i need opinions .. should i use a small amount directly on the crack, let it cure up a day and the try to slather on a nice encapsulating coat and the let it cure up a couple days , or just slather it on all at once and let it cure up good..

:emoticonr

and before you say get it actually welded, im trying not to hear that because the bolts on this thing are so salted and corroded from all the spray, they aint coming off w/o snapping the studs, then its pull the motor time.

Re: SL900 cracked exhaust manifold water jacket, jb weld ???

I would start with a coat of hi-temp silicone when dried slather the JB on top of it.

Comment

i was worried the hi temp might peel as there is no actual crack to put it in, will the two play well together ?

Comment

i wonder if a very brave welder with a small wire fed could get in there ? .. hmm , sure smells like gas in there though ..lol

Comment

Grind a vee with a dremel tool first. The silicone and JB should play well together as the JB kicks off in 5 min's.

Comment

the end of the crack was in a corner so, i didnt want to chance compromising the jb bond in that corner, so i went with a nice 6 sq. inch patch of clean metal, and used the gravity slather and finger method ..:emoticond lol jb is great stuff i think it will be good..

I know what you were thinking though on the expansion and contraction and all the heat, but it doesnt get super hot on the water jacket side does it ?

thanks for your help beer, will update on how it holds in a few days..

Comment

To do it right, it needs to be TIG welded. It is ultra clean, no splatter and no clean up. Depending on where it is on the header, and the accessability, a skilled welder should be able to do it no problem.

Comment

i have a SL900 here i am going to part out. i'd sell you a good manifold. email me if you're interested. zig
                please visit my link with pics of my many parts for sale

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/radracingpics/my_photos

email radracingpwc@aol.com

Comment

i might be able to use that , Thanks :D i want to see if my repair holds because as corroded as those bolts are it will be hard not to break the studs off to swap it , how much would it be ?

Comment

Working...
                  X