$3800 Gp1200R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $3800 Gp1200R

How does $3800 for a 2000 GP1200R sound? It has numerous scratches on upper and lower hull, not deep just there. Engine ran good, got to test ride, idle was rough and low, it stalled a couple times when allowed to idle, but I only got to test ride for about 6 minutes (my wife and kid were waiting and I didnt want to alarm the seller)so it wasent really warmed up. Ran good above idle, adj. trim was seized in the center position, engine looked clean and unmolested, owned by a woman who had a marina mechanic clean and care for it after each ride. 74 hours total. wa-dya think?

Re: $3800 Gp1200R

74hrs, rough idle, seized trim, stalling, and the lady claims it was maintianed by a marina? Sounds to me like that lady was taken advantage of. I probably have 200hrs on my '00 and idle/trim and general operation are good.

Ask about the catalytic converter. If it wasn't fixed you are likely to need to replace it with D plate.

This ski new was around $7000. '98-'99 gp1200 around me are going for around $4000-$4500. $3800 for an '00 GPR is pretty good, but see if you can talk it down further for a deal as it doesn't sound like that marina did a good job maintaining. I would probably buy it for that much, especilly if it came with trailer.
    James
    1997 gp1200
    2000 gp1200r

Comment

Well I already talked her down from the $4000 that she was asking. All the others that I have looked at in the area were in waaaaaay worse shape unless I bought from a dealer and then out the door was hitting between $5500-$5900 for the same year and model. But it doesnt matter......I bought it, $3800 with trailer (which is in need of some attention) but the engine is clean and im thinking it might just need a little time on the motor to clean up that idle. She's a little trophy wife that at least knew enough to go down to the marina and start it up for a bit once a week. Like most people whose skis I was looking to buy, she just didnt wanna ride that one anymore and was looking to trade up to a big couch. Im not sure why the trim is seized, but at least its stuck in the center position. Ive only had about 10 minutes since I brought it home to look it over but I'll be having fun out there soon.:emoticont

Comment

Sounds like a good deal then. I don't play with the trim much anyway.

If you don't know about the cat con, you might want to check it out sometime soon as these things on the R's fail around 60hrs and need replacement. If you are having idle trouble and/or can't quite get good top end speed, it might be stuffed and need removal.

Have fun!
        James
        1997 gp1200
        2000 gp1200r

Comment

That's not a bad price. Where do you ride?

Comment

Being that it is a 2000 I would Highly recommend you replace the power valves or at least install some waveater clips so it doesn't drop into the cylinder, 2000 and 2001 are known for that. Also seal the pump with a plug kit. A couple of small changes and you can have a fast and reliable ski.:D

Comment

If the pv's havent already been addressed...they need to be.As well as the linkage.

If the cat hasnt already been addressed...it needs to be also.

Also,have the carbs ever been rebuilt ? If so,did someone that actually knows what they are doing do them.If they havent been,that could be the cause of your hesitation.

As for the price,that sounds like a good price...Average is between $4200 and $5300 according to NADA.

Also,if you are running the oil injection system...Make sure that you check the condition of the oil lines.Look for dry/hard/cracked lines.

Do a compression test also,and make sure all cylinders are within spec.Post your finding back here.
              Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

The chick told me that the carbs were rebuilt about three months ago. She didnt seem like she knew enough about motors to know enough to lie about something like that so Im sure they were. The oil lines bring up an interesting question. What color are the oil lines supposed to be, and what kind of hose clamps are supposed to be on the lines? The lines on this one are blue, and look pretty new, as do the hose clamps.

Comment

The oil lines could really be any color...If they were originally clear,then they would most likely take the color of whatever oil has been run through them.

I missed the other note of the trim being froze...Thats usually a cable issue,there are three total I believe,you just need to isolate each one and figure out which one(s) are bad.

If you havent bought it yet,and are still looking.......Take it for a real test ride and ride the h3ll out of it for at least 15 minutes or more.If it seems to have problems,that is your bargaining tool...use it,because you will most likely be spending money if it is in need of repairs.

GL and hope it works out for ya
                  Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

I already bought it, $3800 out the door :emoticont . The oil lines are externally blue and look pretty new. I heard that the oil lines cracking are the primary cause for engine failure other than the power valves. I did take it for a test ride and it seemed to run pretty good up and down the rev range it just failed to idle well. In its defense it may just need to be ridden hard for a bit to clear out the lines. I didnt get the chance to ride it this weekend as I was out of town. I have however flushed it twice and as it warms up it seems to be idleing better.

Comment

Working...
                    X