Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My "redneck" gas tank is out...help!

Hello everyone,
    Total n00b here. I just picked up my 98 last night. The previous owner told me that he was riding it about 4 months ago, and the carbs filled with gas. He took it home, popped off one of the little black cover plugs (sorry, not sure what they are called), run the ski, and the gas shot out of the hole, emptying it of the gas, and losing the plug in the process.
    He didn't want to deal with it, so he sold it to me. I took a look at it today, and there is about 1 1/2inch of oil sitting in the bottom.
    What should I do first? Should I empty out the oil, buy a new battery (he told me the battery is dead), put gas in, try and start it and see if there is an oil leak 1st, or fix the gas problem 1st?
    Pic of the plug I am missing;

Thanks for any help!!

Also, there is a 2nd gas tank in the front of the ski, with a on/off/res switch, and the reserve going to the front tank. Was this standard on 98's?

Re: Probs with my 98 GP1200w

Are you sure thats not your vent box?

If so thats not a second gas tank, its a ventilation box. The way the RES works (on most all skis) is there are two tubes in the gas tank, one hits bottom, this is your RES and the other goes a few inches from the bottom.

Never try putting fuel in this if it is a vent box, it will never fill, as it is made to let water (or fuel for that matter) out of the ski and into the water.

Comment

Yeah, it's a second gas tank.

Comment

First - you bought that from a geuine REDNECK who should NOT be working on skis - that is VERY DANGEROUS and a GHETTO setup! www.hlsm.com has diagrams for the stock setup, and I highly recommend you take it to someone local that can get it back the way it SHOULD be so you don't blow yourself up!

Without knowing what ELSE the guy completely screwd up, I don't even want to GUESS why you had gas coming out your airbox - but that is a GREAT way to hurt/kill someone!

THe plugs are just for fogging the motor.

The oil could be leaking from the tank, a line or connector - you'll just have to clean it all up and start looking yourself.

Post your location and maybe someone will have enough time to help you out locally.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Yikes! Thanks for the info!
          I live in Cape Coral, Florida.

Comment

Heed the advice that TS gave you.Sounds like the guy was trying to add extra fuel capacity so he didnt have to stop and fill up.That is one of the most oddest and dangerous things I seen on these forums.

I am in St Pete if you want to bring it to me and leave it for a while to get it all straight.I cant give you a price on what all it will take to get it right,but it will be right when you get it back.PM or e-mail me if interested.

DO NOT ride it like that at all...
            Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

WOW ! Never seen anything like that 2nd tank before !
                J-me
                05 Bayliner 175
                98 GP 1200 Yamaha factory support hull, Lamey engine, Skat pump

Comment

My "redneck" gas tank is out...help!

For my "redneck" gas tank, here is my original thread:
                  http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25000

I have it out, but what does the red hose connect to?
                  I looked at rivamotorsports.com, but couldn't find the diagram.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Re: My "redneck" gas tank is out...help!

No where - it looks like they drilled a hole through the gas tank!

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
                      No where - it looks like they drilled a hole through the gas tank!
                      Any suggestions as to how to plug it?
                      Also, looking at the engine 2 diagram on riva, is it the bowlocker assembly and fire extinguisher that go in there?

Comment

I would drain the tank and patch it with a sheet of plastic (gas safe) and epoxy.

Comment

Cool....glad to see your 'gittin er done' <------redneck joke :)

If you do patch the tank,make 100% sure that whatever you use is petroleum resistant/fuel resistant.

You could also look for another tank...new or used.

If you are talking about the front compartment,yes,your extinguisher and storage bin go there.Parts dont look too expensive.

http://216.37.204.203/yamaha_OEM/Yam...e=13&A=62&B=16
                          Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

Re: My &quot;redneck&quot; gas tank is out...help!

Thanks for the help.
                            Next problem: Whoever took off the carberator cover last time smoothed out 7 of the 12 bolts. I sprayed them with PB, but nothing I do seems to work. Is there a tool I can buy that will get these loose?

Comment

Re: My &quot;redneck&quot; gas tank is out...help!

I merged your threads, please don't start new ones for replies.

You'll just have to try lock pliers, or an easy-out.

Comment

Working...
                              X