94 Monte Carlo 640 engine alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 Monte Carlo 640 engine alignment

well, I just got my new engine from SBT installed and it runs great. but...

I'm getting a LOT of vibration, and I think the engine is mis aligned with the drive shaft (it's a 2 piece coupler with a dampener in the middle (which I've replaced with the newer style damper that doesn't have a puck in the middle).

How do I verify/fix the engine alignment? I do have the shims back in, but I'm not 100% sure that I got them in correctly (I didn't keep track of them when I pulled the original engine out).

-J

Re: 94 Monte Carlo 640 engine alignment

Have you checked to make sure that the bearings/seals/clips in the drive line tunnel, and pump are in good conditon? I have a customer ski here in the shop that is vibrating, its in the drive line, and the bed plate is loose from the motor. This ski had 4 shims, 1 on each motor mount.
    SAMORA'S SKI PERFORMANCE
    WWW.SSPRACING.COM

Comment

Re: 94 Monte Carlo 640 engine alignment

I have seen mention of a special alignment gauge for this type of thing. In lieu of the gauge, I would think you might test alignment by how the shaft engages the coupler. I don't know if you have a rubber spider type, or the type where the dhaft screws into the coupling. If you can slide the shaft out of the coupler:

Spider: Can the spider be engaged smoothly without any prying or hard pushing?

Threaded: Does the thread engage easily without any prying or hard pushing?

If things assemble smoothly, this would indidcate an acceptable alignment.

Comment

Working...
      X