GP1200 Exhaust and primer Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP1200 Exhaust and primer Kit

Hi, im new to this forum but have to say that info is very good for novice like myself. just wanted to ask a few things..

1) i've had my gp1200 for about a month now and im very happy with it - it was originally a pain to start but i have installed a primer kit (see below) that works a treat. just a little curious about the exhaust and/or water box? when running it sounds like a motorcross - at idle and low speeds it sounds as thou the ski is mis-firing thou the performance is still there with no loss of power - the ride is very smooth so not really sure what this could be - at top end it sounds fine. I've recently changed plugs and did a compression test which was fine - old plugs looked a little oily but not bad? also went out in harsh conditions and managed to flip over so not sure if this would have done anything?

2) i recently installed a primer kit a little differently to the norm - on advice from a few yamaha dealers - this was to basically, instead of taking the butterflies out of the carbs - i put a hole in the black casing (flame arrester i think) and used the T pieces to direct the fuel into the carbs this way cable tieing to the grill already there - it works fine and i didn't have to modify it much - ps had problem #1 before installing the primer - just wondered if anybody else has done it this way.

Thanks - sorry for the essay

Re: GP1200 Exhaust and primer Kit

There is no problem doing a primer that way.

The engine is a two stroke, and a large one at that - it's not supposed to be smooth as silk like a 4 stroke, that's normal.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Have got a photo of how your primer kit is setup?

Comment

i can put some on if you like?

Comment

one question, for you? Why in the world would you want to leave the choke butterflies & shafts in place? The primer is the best mod you can do to ANY ski. And I know my GP is the the only ski I have ever had that exhausted thru the rear gunall. all my other skis exhaust down under and into the rear pump area. Th GP's exhaust is completely out of water on plane and sounds awesum if you asked me. The sound of all that power :)

Thanks
          Either Get Wet, or stay on the Hill!

Seadoos
          91 XP almost completely restored
          91 GT almost completely retored
          94 XP old Play thang Sold (Not sure if Im glad or Sad,
          have a complete 94 XP parts
          ski for sale now)

Yammies
          97 GP1200 New Play thang
          98 XL1200 New project

Comment

Did it this way to save time more than anything else - ill put some phots on to show, why do something a hard way when there is an easy way of achieving the same goal :emoticons

Comment

That would great Prestigious. :)

Comment

Here's some pics - hope you can make it out - basically cut the on line, replaced choke end with primer pump, drilled hole into flame arresster and cable tied the brass fittings supplied directly above the carbs
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm glad you shared the pictures of the primer kit.

That is an innovative way to install it!

Why did you arc the tubing to the last cylinder the tubing goes to instead of making the tubing flat and straight like the other two cylinders?

I've heard that theres no performance advantage to removing the choke plates. I'd like to hear from some people if this install method is okay, or if there's issues. He did get the idea from some dealers...

Lee B.

Comment

Thanks for the photo's Prestigious:emoticont

Lee the reason why the last hose fitting is like that is, is because it's a straight fitting and not a "T" like the other two are as this is in the last one in the line........got it?

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong...But shouldnt the primer be tied into the 'reserve' line vs. the 'on' line ?
                      Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

Thanks!

Ironically, I did think of that possibility, but I couldn't see that in the pics.

I really like the idea. Love to hear what others think of the idea.

What tools did you use to enlarge the choke hole opening? I was thinking of a Dremel tool with a sanding roller on it.

Lee B.

Comment

I don't think it really matters Skraggy check this link - http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24728

Comment

I think it depends on whether you run your ski on reserve all of the time - but i didn't fancy that in case i ran out of petrol, it draws petrol from the tank so thats good enough for me. i didn't use anything in particular for enlarging the hole - just correct size wood drill i used- you need to be careful not to crack the hull though!

The metal grill in the air box needs 3 enlarged holes if you user the t-pieces with a standard primer kit - i did these very tight and cable tied them so they dont come out

oh another thing - when you cut the line to put the t-piece in - open your petrol cap first or the pressure will send petrol all over - like me! :emoticonl

Comment

oh another thing - when you cut the line to put the t-piece in - open your petrol cap first or the pressure will send petrol all over - like me! :emoticonl

Lucky as you just put that smoke out!:D

Good Point though!

Comment

Working...
                              X