carb troubles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb troubles.

O.K. , I spent all day working on this girls Blaster. It's a 94 701 61x and we put in TDR reeds, rebuilt the carb (Yamaha OEM 44mm SBN) , removed the choke, OP flame arrestor, Factory Limited pipe.
    We go to fire it up and it doesn't want to start. Check spark- o.k.
    Check fuel- o.k.
    Fires up with a shot of starting fluid but then dies like it's out of gas. (don't give me crap about using starting fluid).
    So I take the carb off again and check everything- all ok. I had used a new rebuild kit, set pop off at 22 psi with 2.3 n/s. Main jet 150, pilot 120, low speed at 1 turn, high speed at 1.5 turn. I blew out all the passages and visually checked the gaskets.
    Still didn't want to start. It seemed to drip an excessive amount of fuel from the return line when I took it off the carb.
    So I swapped for a carb I knew worked (Mikuni 44mm SBN, not Yamaha OEM).
    Now it started up and ran fine, needed a little tuning.
    Swapped the fuel pump from the good carb to the rebuilt carb and it did the same thing. Fires up with starting fluid but won't idle and seems to die out.
    Blew out all the passages again and rechecked everything- still that carb won't work. This carb looks good- no deposits or corrosion in any of the passages. She just bought the ski and the guy said it was always hard to start- needed choke and starting fluid. She rode it last weekend and said it wouldn't idle good and seemed like it lacked power.
    What do you think it could be?

[ September 21, 2002, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: SubmarineAZ ]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />Submarine in Arizona

Did you check all the check valves to make sure they weren't ripped or creased?

pressurize the pulse fitting to 10 psi and see if it holds, too.

[ September 21, 2002, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]

Comment

I replaced all the check valves and I made sure they laid flat against the pump body.

To pressurize the pulse, I just pump it up to 10 psi with the pop off guage? Do I need to block off the fuel in and return?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

No, it's not related. You are checking to see if the fuel pump diaphragms are leaking. After you pressurize it spritz the outside with soapy water and check for leaks.

Comment

Got to take her ski out and lake tune it last weekend with the working SBN carb. It didn't want to tune right, and figured out she had a blown head gasket. Replaced the gasket, set everything where I originally thought it should be, and the ski runs like a bat out of hell. Didn't get to mess with the demon possessed OEM carb though. Could the blown head gasket have affected the carb in some way to create the starting problems we had? Why the OEM and not the aftermarket Mikuni?
          She's riding in the Havasu poker run tomorrow so I'll hear it if she has problems!

Comment

Re: carb troubles.

Hi Buddy .I'm on same wagon with you even suck it in gasoline overnight ( bodu only) blow air all passages , everything seem to be very clean like new .But it doesn't work .Break it down again fuel full inside even on top of body assembly but some how it doesn't get into main jet and ski only start with fluid ( I use carb cleaner )It burn me up 3 days still don't know why ??? By the way .please show me how to post messages on this forum .I'm new member .Thank so much and good luck if I can solve my problem I'll contact you .vuphat@yahoo.com
            Last edited by vu phat; 11-21-2007, 11:41 PM. Reason: need help

Comment

Working...
            X