Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 701 twin carb / single carb power

My son and two friends have 94 WRIIIGP's with 701 single carb
    I have a 95 waveventure 701 with twin carbs.
    My ski is about 100 lbs heavier or about 20%
    I was afraid my heavier ski would be slower even with twin carbs. Instead it easily pulls away from them.

Anyone know if my engine is differant in any way other than just the dual carbs. I would consider installing dual carbs on his if that's the only differance.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
    Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't talking about you

Re: 701 twin carb / single carb power

The single carb 701 uses the 61x cases. The intake area is smaller, and angled differently.
    The twin carb 701 uses 62T cases, which has a larger and more efficient intake area.
    That, and dual carbs, are the differences in the engine. Sure, you could install dual carbs on the singles, but the cases stay the same. Not worth the trouble, IMHO.

Comment

hey Matt, I have a 61x in a VXR PRO, and it may need a new engine in a few years, do you think the 62T would fit right in there? And also, you're saying that the 62T is alot faster? Do you know how much horse? The 61X I have I'm sure is 64 HP

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_E
        The single carb 701 uses the 61x cases. The intake area is smaller, and angled differently.
        The twin carb 701 uses 62T cases, which has a larger and more efficient intake area.
        That, and dual carbs, are the differences in the engine. Sure, you could install dual carbs on the singles, but the cases stay the same. Not worth the trouble, IMHO.
        In addition to Matt's accurate answer, the Reed valves are larger and well at the twin carb engine's exhaust is larger in diameter. From the exhaust ports to the muffler, everything is bigger...It's like installing expansion chambers on a motorcycle...large diameter down to a tapered small end tail cone....

Comment

That makes sense to me. It did not make sense that just adding a 2nd carb would make much more power if any. Knowing the intake, cases and exhaust are all matched to take advantage of the 2nd carb makes perfect sense. I have been pleasantly surprised by the power this engine has. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by K6jet
            hey Matt, I have a 61x in a VXR PRO, and it may need a new engine in a few years, do you think the 62T would fit right in there? And also, you're saying that the 62T is alot faster? Do you know how much horse? The 61X I have I'm sure is 64 HP

NADA says 63hp for my son's 94 single and 80 for my 95 twin carb. I also questioned the HP diff on here awhile back. The reply was that the 63HP was under rated and more likely putting out about 70HP compared to my 80 HP

Comment

I believe Yamaha's rating for the Superjet engines is 63HP for the 61x case, single carb, and 73HP for the 62T, dual carb engine. Note that both use the 61x cylinder, which plays a role in that rating as well, I am sure.

In case your 61x motor goes out, a 62T motor should fit right in, a direct bolt-to-bolt matchup.
              However, there is a difference in exhaust bolt threads between the 61x and 62T cylinders. That can be fixed either way, though.

Comment

Working...
              X