98 xl760 motor swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 xl760 motor swap

I have just bought a 98 xl760 with what i am told is a siezed motor. I have not had time to confim that yet. I have a friend who just wrecked his 03 xl700. I can get a real good deal on the xl700. My question is will the 701 motor bolt right in, are all the electronic parts the same or will I have to swap everything out?
    Thanks

Re: 98 xl760 motor swap

Yes it will bolt up. No the external parts are not the same, but it will run - poorly. You would at the very least need to rejet and readjust the carbs to 701 specs. The ignition will have slightly different timing but it will not damage anything, just sap a few HP and MPH.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.
      Since i am getting both skis for next to nothing would it be a good winter project to just change all the electronics?
      I would leave the 701 motor all together including the carbs.
      Could you tell me the differences between the 760 and the 701.
      I have a 02 xl700 and love it, but the xl760 has all the buttons and whisltes. I know it also has 10 more hp, but the really does not make a diference to me.

Comment

The 760 stator coils fit in the front engine cover and the 700s are under the flywheel. They are very different as are the CDI boxes. Big coil might be the same. The rest of the system should be the same.

Comment

Working...
        X