Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running an engine WITHOUT water? How long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running an engine WITHOUT water? How long?

I was just wondering how long anyone would say an engine can run without water???? 20 seconds? 1 minute? Don't do it at all?

I never do this, but am just curious since many say you can run for under 30 seconds or so when making changes or something. I personally never run for more than a few seconds without water to get all of the water out of the machine after I turn the hose off.

Just curious, do the engines get hot and blow up right away? or could an engine run for a little while before getting too hot?

No flaming! I am just curious:)

Re: Running an engine WITHOUT water? How long?

honestly i'm learning. but i woud def say that once it reaches normal temp is when u stop runnign it immediatel. just like an automobile. theres a certain valve taht opens up for teh radiater cooling once the engine reaches running tempetures w/o cooling so that the engine can get to normal riding performance.

Comment

on average 15 secs.

Comment

You can start and run a watercraft motor for up to 30 seconds without hurting it.

Radio,
        You are talking about a thermostat, but a thermostat has a hole that allows water through it to keep the water circulating through an engine until it reaches the theromstat's opening tempature which aids in the engines ability to reach operating tempature faster and sustain the minimum operating tempature of the engine.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

thats what i thought as well. but i guess teh concept is the same? maybe? hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
            You can start and run a watercraft motor for up to 30 seconds without hurting it.
            Except Yamaha 4-strokes - 5 seconds max.
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Yes. I should have qualified that as to two stroke motors only.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

On 4 strokes, what happens after 5 seconds? Even if you have a cooling system like in a SD 4-tec?

Comment

The Yamahas can overheat in a hurry. They have very intricate internal cooling systems. The Sea-Doo's can go a little longer, but still need external cooling and circulation pretty soon after starting. No ski is designed to run without active cooling.
                  SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                  We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                  Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

The 4-tec cooling system runs through the ride plate allowing the water to draw the heat from the coolant,so if it's not in the water once the coolant heats up you will overheat aswell .

Comment

Working...
                    X