Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help me with oil pump prob. and possible switch to premix..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me with oil pump prob. and possible switch to premix..

I got my ski up and running yesterday. Sbt motor. I thought I had blead the oil line to the pump, no air. So I started and planned on idleing it and manually moving the oil pump level to fill the little feeder oil lines. And I got nothing. Did get another air buble in the big line. So I tried to bleed it again. Nothing. It doesn't bleed. I get a few drops very slowly but the line keeps an air bubble. Even tried taking the line off and letting oil flow and putting it back on. So I believe I have a dead pump.

I'm thinking about doing the oil block off and running pre-mix. But my gas tank is already full of gas and has the break in oil in it. So I'm guessing I can just put the oil in the gas tank?? Or do I have to drain it?

Re: help me with oil pump prob. and possible switch to premix..

Did you put the plastic shaft in ?

Comment

Originally posted by crudeau
      So I'm guessing I can just put the oil in the gas tank?? Or do I have to drain it?
      You should drain the oil out of the oil tank and mix it at the correct oil/gas ratio. DO NOT JUST POUR THE OIL IN THE TANK.

Comment

exactly how long were u running the engine w/o any oil in the engine? idling while trying to move that lever? you might have done severe damage to the engine if no oil was in that engine.

Comment

TX21 you mean drain the gas out of the gas tank NOT oil out of the oil tank. IF you decide to go pre-mix drain the fuel in the fuel lines also. and it wouldnt hurt to fog the engine when you first get it started.

Comment

Originally posted by julrich
            TX21 you mean drain the gas out of the gas tank NOT oil out of the oil tank. IF you decide to go pre-mix drain the fuel in the fuel lines also. and it wouldnt hurt to fog the engine when you first get it started.
            You should drain both to get it right.

Comment

Leave some oil in the oil tank to feed the rotary valve gear.

It is best to premix in known quanities, like 5 gals at a time. But, if you know how much fuel is in your tank, you can pour the oil into the tank and shake the ski for a minute or two to mix it. Believe me, trailering it to the lake will get it mixed up just fine.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

it ran for about 20-30 seconds. I had my hand on the level. I read the manual on how to bleed it. ANd there is the sbt break in oil in the gas tank. If I did severe damage in 30 seconds then the engine had issues to begin with. I started it, saw no oil flowing and shut it down. I flushed out the fuel lines and the gas tank while I had the engine out. So all the lines at least had the break-in oil in them.

I oreded the block off kit from Sbt. I'm going to just leave the oil tank full. THat way it's in there and I don't have to worry about it for a while. couple pounds doesn't bother me. How do I go about changing the oil that in the engine?

What the easiest way to drain the gas tank? Since it's at the bottom of the hull, I'm thinking put two five gallon tanks on the ground, and siphon it out. have to get some extra long tubing from somewhere to hook to the fuel lines.

what's the ratio for it?

Comment

Siphon out the fuel. The premix ratio is 40:1

No need to change oil in the motor.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM

Comment

so what happens to the oil in the bottom of the engine? I am thinking that it VERY slowly gets mixed in with the fuel. Because of the rotary valve. Or will I never again have to add oil?

Just looking to understand for my knowledge.

Should my first tank of oil be mixed 40:1 since I already added the sbt break in oil as if I were injected. I know the bottle had two sets of directions (on the break-in oil).

Comment

No, do not put the full 40-1 premix into the gas tank if you allready added the breakin oil. Figure out how much oil you need to get a 40-1 ratio.

What do you mean your "first tank of oil"? Do not add gasoline to the oil tank.

The RV cavity is only there to lubricate the rotary valve gear and bearings. It does not mix with the fuel in the engine unless your center seals are shot.

Eventually, the oil level will drop a bit in the oil tank due to some minor seepage through the center seals, otherwise the oil level in the RV cavaity, oil lines and oil tank will stay fairly stable.
                      Bill O'Neal <br>
                      WCM

Comment

I tried to siphon gas out of the gas tank from where you put the gas in but did not get very far since the plastic tube curles down in the tank and I never knew if I had the tank completely drained. I did remove the tank cap and put the metal pipe(about 24" long) to the end of the plastic tube directly to the very bottom of the tank. So I drained every drop out. Then I added a 40:1 premix new gas(from the canister I shook real well) since the old gas was in the tank for about a year. I found this easier. It took 20 minutes but I was sure my tank was fully drained.

Comment

go run it and see how it performs.

Comment

can't run it yet. Need to get the pre-mix in there. I'll get it done this weekend. My block off kit should be here tomorrow as well. I think I might just drain the gas tank completly and start fresh. That way I know everything is mixed correctly.

With that being said, how do I know if my gas tank needs to be replaced? The recall. And can I replace it myself or does the dealer have to do it. I'll search the forum as well to see what I can figure out.

Comment

Call the dealer with your HIN # and he can tell you if its been replaced. They do it at no charge.

Comment

Working...
                              X