This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 SeadDoo GTX RFi Starting Problems

I have a 1998 SeaDoo GTX RFi that is having starting problems. I am getting a "low" ckicking noise from the Rear Electrical Box. The starter does not engage. On the last ride I had to be towed in, since the Electronic Module was reporting that the 12VDC was low and the ski would not start. I have checked the battery and it is fully charged.

My plans are to check the fuses and solenoid in the electrical box first. If these provde be OK then I may need to replace the starter. Can this be done with the engine still in the ski?

Re: 1998 SeadDoo GTX RFi Starting Problems

Be sure to check the condition of the cables ( both pos. and neg.) at the terminal ends. Check the ground wire attach point at the engine. John

Comment

The "smart" thing would be to replace the battery with a known to be good battery and try again. If that doesn't work, jump the solenoid. If the starter motor works, replace the solenoid. If not, replace the starter motor.
      It is usually just the solenoid that is bad.

Batteries sometimes read as high as 12.5 VDC, but still will not turn a Sea Doo starter motor. They need to be load tested to detirmine if they are any good.

If you get a "low Volts" message, test the charging suystem. You may need a rectifier also.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I will be checking the Ski after the latest hurricane passes in Texas. I will try all of the suggestions and report back my findings. The battery is only about 3-4 months old so that should not be a problem. I will try another battery just to be sure.

Comment

Well the battery checks out OK.
          The Starter Relay Checks out OK.
          Checked all Power Connections.

It appears to be the starter. I have taken it to a local dealer in League City, Texas and they have informed me that the starter will need to be replaced. They indicate that the starter is frozen and the engine will need to be removed. Total cost $400.00 (I have already verified from another dealer that the starter cost $314.97) for the starter and 6-7 hours Labor which will bring the bill close to $950.00. I declined to have it fixed due to the cost and went to pick up my ski only to find that they had disassembled part of my ski to get at the starter. In the process they broke the oil nipple (Part Number: 420922245) and had to extract the broken part from the crankcase.

Issue with Dealer:

Is it normal for a dealer to leave a ski in a disassembled state when a customer ask for a cost estimate on a starter replacement?? I had called and informed them that I was not going to get the ski repaired due to the cost and that I was doing to pick it up. I had already agreed to pay the $70.00 diagnostic fee. I was extremely dissatisfied with the condition of my ski and requested that they reassemble the ski and clean out all of the oil that they let leak into the bottom.

Questions:

1. How hard should it be to change the starter ??

2. If the starter is stuck is there another way to remove it that does not involve removing the engine??

3. How can I verify that the repair to the oil nipple has been done correctly ?

Comment

Finally getting around to fixing the ski and have determined that the dealer in Leauge City Texas is CLUELESS about working on a SeaDoo. They attempted to remove the starter by just removing the nuts and the beating on the starter. They then informed me that the starter was frozen and the engine needed to be removed to do the repair. I was able to remove the starter and have confirmed that it is bad. I will be ordering a SBT starter in the next few days. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions on trobleshooting this issue.

Comment

i'm a pwc tech at a shop and if it is only one thing that i've learned is that if it is not easy; you are probably doing it wrong. if it seems that something isn't right, 9 times out of 10, it probably isn't right. some of those starters can corrode onto the magneto housing, but it doesn't happen very often unless it is mainly used in salt water.

Comment

The SBT Forums are for SBT Product Support ONLY. For all general PWC support/discussion, please post on www.pwctoday.com.

Thank you - SBT Mgt.
                SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                X