'00 xl1200 LTD compression ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '00 xl1200 LTD compression ????

I am new to yamaha's (sea doo guy) . What are good compression #'s for this ski. What variance should you see between cyl's?? These seem to have good reputations for reliability, anything to be aware of or problems to check ?? Thanks in advance !!!?

That should be around 120-125, no more than 8 psi difference between cylinders - 2-3 is typical on a stock motor in good condition.

Comment

O.k. Thank you !!! What about reliabiblity and or problems to look out for ??? Any help ????

Comment

On that particular year and model, you really need to update the power valves and install one of the aftermarket pin guides. There are two problems with the design, one, the older powervalves have shoulders that break and let the valve drop into the piston. Two, the OEM pin retainers do not capture the hinge pins and can let them vibrate out and let the valve fall into the piston. We sell both the new valves and pin retainers, so does R&D and Riva.

Comment

Does the engine or cylinders need to come out for this ???Bryan- do your engines come with this mod ??

Comment

Yes our engines come with both updates, and no you don't need to pull the engine. On the 800 you just remove the powervalve covers. On the 1200 you need to separate the rear section of the exhaust pipe.

Comment

Is there any way to tell if you have this problem...or is it just BAM(Thanks-emerill) powervalve meets piston!!! What is the cost for the triple mod ???

Comment

There's no way to tell by looking unless your pins are wiggling out - the cost is $120 per valve and $22 per guide for our parts.

Comment

if you're outta warranty you best be doin this..the pv 66v is a timebomb without these changes...not a case of 'if', its a case of 'when'.
                  97 venture11/1200, 01gp12r stage1, 02F12X
                  dav_dman@yahoo.com

Comment

Hi again! Enough I am really worried. I am owner of a bought GP1200R 2001 in Argentina, almost do not exist services that are dedicated to make these changes in my country..... Really these problems of the PVīS are going to me to happen someday or this is an update to obtain more performance in the engine. Thank you very much by the aid
                    ArielARG

Comment

It WILL happen sooner or later. It has nothing to do with performance gains.

Comment

Bryan
                        I am looking at a '01 xlt with 110 hours and 110,115,110 compression. It seems to run ok (This is on the hose...its cold up here in the great N.W.) any thoughts ????
                        thanks again
                        Ron

[ November 13, 2002, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: imaduner ]

Comment

If you can verify with a known good gauge I would feel better, but those may be good readings, the differnce between cylinders is within spec. I would suspect the gauge may be reading a bit low in general.

Comment

Did the '01's have the updated pv's ????

Comment

Not all, no - you have to check yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X