Checking oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Checking oil pump

First, I know that U know WAY more than I do about the oil injection pumps.

I was wondering if their would be a way to create a universal pump that would be easier to service than the factory ones and adjustable for the different injection rates.

I was thinking that the input and output hoses would be fairly similar across all the models. Only the mechanical interface to the engines is different. I thought maybe there would be a way to have mechanical adapters to make one or a few universal pumps work in all jet-skis.

Also, it seems idiotic to me with all the technology out there that theres not a way to have some kind of slick sensor in each of the oil lines to send an alert if the oil flow stops.

Of course, they probably want engines blowing up so that much money can be made. And, there could be the issue of people sueing the universal oil pump maker saying something went wrong with their non-OEM pump and blew their engine.

*** Would it be possible for you to share some more information on the Yamaha oil pump or direct me to a post that discussed it before? Specifically, if there's three separate pumping chambers in it, and what the failure parts are when the oil pump fails? Are there seals of some kind in there, linkages, or does the drive gear break, or WHAT ? (!)

Thank you for the great forum SBT!

Lee B.

Comment

I'll take one apart and post pics Monday for everyone. There is only one chamber.

Universal doesn't work. Pumps are calibrated for different ratios and different RPMS (except constant ratio of course) per model, even for the same engine. THe hull it's in also plays a role. Like I said, 50+ skews, also taking into account the dozen or so actuator positions and dozen or so mounting positions and locations.

Yes I'm sure some sort of monitoring system could be fabricated, but no one has done so - it would be extremly costly.

Most people say hmmm...$15 for a block off, or hundreds of bucks in parts for a custom project...yeah hard choice.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Wow! Thanks!

I would love to see some pics, that would be the pinacle of my whole week! (Yes, I know I need to get a life!)

I may just be sensitive right now about more mods because it took me almost eight weeks to do all the research, get the parts, and get the whole thing back together right.

Or, maybe i'm a spoiled a-- who likes the convenience of dumping the oil into the oil tank and being able to forget about it. heh heh

I ride a lot alone in the middle of nowhere and taking a variable out that could leave me stranded by going premix may may a lot of sense.

I see oil running down the carb throats at idle, and flying out of the oil ports at higher RPM in dropfuls. Does that sound about normal for now? I didn't see much oil or air bubbles come out of the bleeder screw when I opened it two turns, so I was wondering if I bled it right???

Trust me, the feed hose was 100% bled, much oil in the hull! LOL

Thanks again tech support! I feel *obligated* at this point to buy an engine from you when the time comes. This forum is awesome and you obviously put a lot of effort into it.

Lee B.

Comment

Just check on your oil pump linkage that the lines line up!(on the linkage arm with the fixed line on the pump body) do you know what I mean?? You will need a little mirror and a torch to see. It's just a check as the cable can stretch Little over time.

Comment

Hi thanks.

I can picture the cam on the oil pump with the spring on it and a cable coming off of it and going up to the top of the engine where it connects to the accelerator cable via the mechanism up there.

So far I don't fully understand what you're being nice enough to try to explain to me...

Lee B.

Comment

I'll ask tech on your other thread if he can show them.:) Opps it is this thread!!

When you take the photo's can you show the line's I mean Tech?

It's just a check that's all.

Comment

I already did in the Oil Pump Alingment tech article...
                SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Just a note on the oil monitoring system you mentioned creating...

If a line comes off at a carb(as they tend to do),you will still sense oil flow through the line,and still have a lubrication failure.

As mentioned before a few times...the pump itself rarely fails,unless installed incorrectly.It is usually the lines or connection of the lines that fail the majority of the time.
                  Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

Good point Skraggy! I guess we better make sure that the sensor is actually built right into the oil injection port right as it goes down the carb throat, AFTER where the line attaches to the carb!

L.

Comment

I thought they already had that sensor....the two-stroke engine smokes when running!
                      John Kubiak
                      Powersports Technical Training Professional
                      Las Vegas, Nevada
                      Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                      PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                      PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                      NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                      Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

In my experience, the 1200 does not smoke hardly at all with the variable oil injection.

John, are their little things to look for that will warn the savvy ski guy that he's lost his oil injection before it's too late?

I hear that by the time you notice that the ski is not running right, the damage has already been done...

Lee B.

Comment

Geez, how about a sense of humor....
                          John Kubiak
                          Powersports Technical Training Professional
                          Las Vegas, Nevada
                          Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                          PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                          PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                          NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                          Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

John, are their little things to look for that will warn the savvy ski guy that he's lost his oil injection before it's too late?

I hear that by the time you notice that the ski is not running right, the damage has already been done...

Lee B.[/QUOTE]
                            That is correct Lee, it's to late when you find out that a line or pump has failed.

Comment

Originally posted by John Kubiak
                              Geez, how about a sense of humor....
                              :D hee hee

Comment

Sorry John,

I lost my sense of humor on this issue about $500 ago and about three letters to Yamaha ago.

heh heh

L.

Comment

Working...
                                X