Checking oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Checking oil pump

Here are pics. I have removed the end caps. Inside is the worm gear driven by the crank. This turns a 90 deg. shaft that turns a hollow tube on top of it. The base of the shaft has two lobes on it, that raises the tube position depending upon the rotation of the variable ratio shaft below it. These operate much like a camshaft, providing variable lift during it's rotation. If the throttle is in the idle position, and the variable shaft is not in contact with the 90 deg shaft, then the tube remains down during it's rotation. If the throttle is opened, the variable shaft rotates, pushing the 90 deg shaft up at two points during each revolution, causing the tube to raise up and down twice during each revolution.

The tube is fed with oil from the tank, which fills it from the bottom. There are various holes drilled through it, that correspond to receiving holes in the pump body surrounding it, going to the feed lines to the engine. When the tube is in the full down position, the oil system is primarily going off gravity feed, with very low flow out the side holes. However when the 'cam' is on, and the tube is raised twice during each revolution, the oil is trapped in the center as the tube is coming on it's down stroke, slightly pressuring it. When the holes line up during rotation is is released under that pressure pumping more oil during each revolution to the block.

Below are pics then movies.

Failures of the actual pump are relatively rare, but do happen. The Worm gear to 90 deg shaft can strip or get damaged teeth. The worm gear drive can be broken by forcing the crank mesh during assembly. The spring between the tube and 90 deg shaft holding it, can break or weaken. The variable shaft can bend or break.

None of these parts are gauranteed interchangeable with other models of pump, nor are internal parts available for purchase from anywhere.
    Attached Files
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Movies
      Attached Files

Comment

The only reason I think it would ever fail is rust. Given you cannot access the pump without the exhaust removed, I have covered my pump with White Lithium Grease to protect it from rust....advise others to do the same.

Comment

Aluminum rusts?
          John Kubiak
          Powersports Technical Training Professional
          Las Vegas, Nevada
          Sea-Doo Tech 13736
          PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
          PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
          NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
          Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by CTXL1200
            The only reason I think it would ever fail is rust.
            LOL and let me guess...the only one you've any experience with (looking at) is yours right? :)

That's ok, it really doesn't matter what anyone 'thinks'. Those of us that are in the know, know. People can choose to believe whatever they like...it doesn't change the facts :)

Comment

LmaO...

Dont we all wish they were all the same...
              Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

Yes the housing is made of aluminum, but the cable, cable bracket, spring, and lever the cable connects to are not, and neither is the nut that holds the lever to the pump.

If any of these parts rust and freeze up or break, you are not getting oil to the engine.

Maybe I should have been more specific, then again, maybe you experts should think a bit before you reply.

Comment

If the cable freezes (which would be in the open position, other wise you couldn't pull the throttle open either) or breaks, or the nut falls off...the pump defaults to wide open, giving the most oil possible, not the other way around.

Rust has never been a big factor with the oil systems failing.

Comment

Originally posted by CTXL1200
                    maybe you experts should think a bit before you reply.
                    Go read these posts completely:

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/sho...402#post122402

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22891

MAYBE YOU ROOKIES SHOULD USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THE FORUMS, AND LOOK FOR THE THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS....THEY HAVE BEEN ANSWERED MANY TIMES BEFORE!!!
                    John Kubiak
                    Powersports Technical Training Professional
                    Las Vegas, Nevada
                    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Thank you for the photo's Tech :emoticont

Are you going to place these photo's in your tech section, Maybe very worth while as it's a good explanation with the photo's of the Yamaha pump.

Comment

Yeah, I will later.

Comment

Administrator and John K.:

I can't really put into words how much I appreciate the effort. I know it takes valuable time out of your days to post all this stuff. And thanks to John for providing links to the other important factors posted earlier.

It has to be VERY frustrating to listen all day long to people who *think* they know what they're talking about when U live the mechanical drama all day long for many years and *know* what you're talking about.

I MUST go on record after knowing what it took to get my ski mostly back together, and seeing pictures of the pump, that people are NOT getting ripped off when they pay $75 or more an hour to get their ski's worked on by the professionals! The guys that claim that working on these ski's is "easy" are not accurately portraying the picture! If it were easy, everyone would be doing it themselves! I will say that if you do the research and do it yourself right, at least you know it was done 100% right.

Now that I see the insides of the pump, based on experience with mechanical assemblies, it's definately either go premix or buy a new pump and be done with it. It would not be worth it to tinker with the oil pump with your engine in the balance.

How do know when a check valve in the oil injection system is going bad? What do they do anyway?

Again, thanks for everything!

Lee B.

Comment

Originally posted by lee_leses
                            It has to be VERY frustrating to listen all day long to people who *think* they know what they're talking about when U live the mechanical drama all day long for many years and *know* what you're talking about.
                            To say the LEAST.

And you are very welcome - no one here minds in the least bit, helping someone out.

Check valves are easily tested with a pressure gauge - they are simply to prevent the oil from gravitating into the engine when off.

Comment

Originally posted by skraggy
                              LmaO...

Dont we all wish they were all the same...
                              CTXL1200...I was not laughing at your statement about the rust...More about the exhaust having to be removed.This,"again",is a non-pv earlier model motor and ski we are talking about,and the oil pump is easily accesible without removing any exhaust components at all.

Please dont take this wrong,but I had to correct you on this same issue before.Not all ski's are built like yours.I reply to help people with things I know about,or I research the problem and then help.Trust me,I co-own a ski exactly like yours,and I know there is nothing easy about working on it and just about nothing can be done without removing the exhaust or at least part of it.
                              Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

Yea, you're right!

I like the way they make the engine compartment on this GP look like you could get the engine out, only to find out when it's 90% of the way out it's not coming out unless you unbolt the top deck or take off part of the exhaust...

Thanks Skraggy!

Comment

Working...
                                X