Checking oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking oil pump

I just rebuilt my engine in my gp1200 and wanted to check the oil pump before firing it up , I ran it with drill motor but seen nothing from the hoses . I also removed a check valve and rechecked it again and still no oil. Does this system work in conjunction with intake vacuum or is this a bad pump ?Thanks

Re: Checking oil pump

Spinning it with a drill (counter-clockwise ONLY) doesn't test a thing. It needs to be spun at 7,000rpm, which makes it virtually impossible to properly test. If in doubt, block it off or buy a new pump.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks I think I will just trust it , I will run mix with the pump on the break in just in case . Thanks Again for your help...

Comment

You need to run additional pre-mix during break-in anyway. If the pump is bad, you will blow the motor on the 2nd tank. If the pump is good, running additional pre-mix will also damage the engine and foul plugs. It's pump or pre-mix, not both.

Comment

It's New Pump I dont want to take the chance....Thanks

Comment

Just wondering what happens if you run a pre-mix tank AND the pump. Is over lubed and gunks everything up??.......... Just curious

Comment

The cylinder glaze and you eventiually lose compression and ring seal.

Comment

Its always safer to replace the pump or go with premix.
                WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

That only tells you if the pump completely failed or not. It doesn't tell you if it's operating correctly.

Comment

Oh ok! This is what I have down, Got a new pump of e-bay $52.00 wow! I know they are around $250 new over your way-here they are $520. I won it - I didn't think I would as this was an awesome deal. But anyway put it on - bleed it-lined up the lines on the oil linkage, (FORM YOUR TECH FORUM) and then drained my fuel tank (taste horrible!) made a 2 litre mix and tipped it in the tank, Started the engine and put the hose on and ran it until I saw oil start to flow out of the injection holes.(with the odd quick rev) Hose off - engine off. Now I will fill the tank with petrol on my next outing, This small amount will do no harm as it will be mixed with 48L of clean petrol. It should ok won't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
                      You need to run additional pre-mix during break-in anyway.
                      As mentioned above,when breaking in a new rebuilt motor,you will need to premix along with the stock pump during breakin...then go to just plain gas in the tank.Breakin is the most important factor in 'how long your motor will last'.
                      Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

Make sure you transfer the little extender tip on the front of the old pump to the new pump. Otherwise the pump will not engage with the screw on the front of the flywheel.

Comment

Got it Thanks

Comment

I find it VERY hard to believe that no one has found a better way to deal with the aging oil pump issue. I fully admit I know nothing about how the internals of the oil injection pump works, but:

Hasn't ANYONE taken one all apart to see exactly how it works?

I still want to know if there's three seperate pumping chambers in there, one for each cylinder.

And, I keep wondering if anyone rebuilds the pumps, or makes an aftermarket one that can be used instead of the OEM one that's not $300!!!

Lee B.

Comment

We all know how it works, an no, there are no repair/replacement parts available nor aftermarket units - thus the problem.

Feel free to invest the R&D money needed to produce the over 50 different models.

Comment

Working...
                              X