Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '96 GSX piston problems???

***UPDATE 8-17-06 read below***

I just sold my two '96 GSX's. One was modded and the other was pretty much stcok with exterior add ons and no engine mods. I pretty much have rarely used them in the last two years and they just sat in my driveway. I wasn't in a hurry to sell them and I didn't even have a FOR SALE sign on them. This one guy stopped by about 4 times and made a offer on them (I wasn't home the frist 3) and I decided to sell them for $4K and I through in a bunch of extras (two dollys, vest, new batteries, charger, ski locks ect...). He gave $3800 until I found the pink slips to give him which was fine.

Anyways I sold them to him AS IS with the sale FINAL. I told him the modded ski didnot run at the time and probably needed a ignition coil in which I gave him the brand new part to install. I also told him the carbs needed adjusting and the engine tuned up. The engine turned over but would not run. I even offer to help him with fixing the modded one by eating the $200 he owed me. The stock one was ready to go, it started right up and did not smoke and I never had nay problems with it whatso ever.

Fast forward to yesterday and the guy calls me up and says that the piston was no good. He told me that when he took it out to the lake that it would stall and not run so he tied off the ski to unload his other ski or something. He said the plug was missing so the ski got a lot of water in it and would not even start after that. He now wants to return them saying he that they will cost too much to fix and that the one I started right in front of him has a bad piston and other stuff in which he could not remember what his mechanic told him. His mechanic was in TJ or Rosarito I believe.

Is it possible for the piston to go bad like that even though it started really easy with no smoke? How much would it cost to replace something like that? My skis did sit for a while but I did get all the fluids changed after the last ride when I took them in for a routine maintenance. I don't want to get shafted but I also don't want the skis back. I told the guy I would help every way possible but I don't want to eat the whole thing.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by DJ Eric P; 08-17-2006, 07:13 PM.

Re: '96 GSX piston problems???

AS IS WHERE IS, he made the offer...

If they sat for quite a while, his mechanic should have advised him to at least have the carbs cleaned BEFORE riding them....You owe him nothing.....
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Why would he put a ski in the water without a plug? Sounds like he had no idea what he was doing.

Comment

Although I do not believe you owe him squat, yes it is possible that the piston was bad. FYI, two strokes are susposed to smoke when you start and run them. Engines often start and run, some even run decent, with a slightly siezed piston that many owners are totally unaware of. So it can happen.
        But, would I replace anything ? Not after he told you he launched it without the plug in the hull and hydrolocked it. No way !
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

Let me just clarify when I said it did not smoke. It did smoke when started but nothing out of the ordinary. The modded one did smoke (when started) but nothing out of the ordinary of a highly modded ski. I thought I gave the guy a pretty good deal but I believe he was expecting a lot more than what he paid for. I'm a pretty stand up guy and will help out with everything in my power to get him good running skis but I'm not going to take a big hit, I will however help him with minor cost and hookups on where to go and where to get his parts for a cheap price. I'll even give him Bill's # and address to have a real pro look at them. :emoticont

Thanks again and I'll keep you updated.

Comment

Did the buyer see the ski run before buying? Did he ask to compression test and yu refused? Did they come w/ double trailer?

If the answer is yes, no and yes than you owe him nothing.

Was he alone when he launched for the first time? - the time it took to launch, park and start the ski was enough to fill a hull w/out the plug in. Hydrolock.

Comment

Originally posted by steach
              Did the buyer see the ski run before buying? Did he ask to compression test and yu refused? Did they come w/ double trailer?

If the answer is yes, no and yes than you owe him nothing.

Was he alone when he launched for the first time? - the time it took to launch, park and start the ski was enough to fill a hull w/out the plug in. Hydrolock.
              1. Yes he was there when I started the ski and he was with his family
              2. No he didn't ask for a compression test but I never offered one or thought about it.
              3. I gave him the double Zieman delux trailer which had the side steps, spare tire rack, storage container and it held four gas cans. I also gave him two pro dollys.

Comment

Here's a couple of pics of the skis from a year ago.
                Attached Files

Comment

The buyer has the responsibility to know what he is buying. If that means he should have had a professional mechanic check out the skis before he closed the deal, then so be it. That responsibility is on him.

It is not like when I sell a ski. I am a professional in the PWC business, so if I say it has nothing wrong with it, then that is different from you saying you do not know of anything that is wrong with yours.

If you made promises that turned out to be false, then it falls upon your shoulders to repair it. If not, you owe him nothing.

You sold your 2 skis, trailer and goodies for a very resonable price. If he expects new condition, he should have paid 4 times as much and bought new skis. End of story.

We had a line we used when I was younger selling used cars, when the buyer complained about scratches and flaws and such. we would say " that is why they call it used, if you want new, buy from across the street at our new car lot".
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM
                  <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I told the guy everything I possibly knew that needed to be done (on the modded one) to the ski. He gave me a line where he said that if he was going to have so much trouble working on these that he would've went with a new one. I told him then go ahead and spend at least $10K just for one without a trailer. I knew he was cheap by the way he was dealing with me and would have never bought a new one or he would've never have bought mine.

Comment

That looks like he got a good deal. Did you get the titles/reg. to him? (from orig post)

The only problem I see from this deal is the gas cans. You can't use those in Cali... If asked, you said they were for drinking water.:emoticonc

Comment

Originally posted by steach
                        That looks like he got a good deal. Did you get the titles/reg. to him? (from orig post)

The only problem I see from this deal is the gas cans. You can't use those in Cali... If asked, you said they were for drinking water.:emoticonc
                        I had lost the other registration slips and got new ones in which I gave to him. I could not find the pink slips and will have to buy new ones. I also signed a release of responsiblity/title form and gave that to the DMV.

Those gas cans are legal in CA they are the same exact ones for dirtbikes. I bought them at a motorcycle/jetski dealer but I put the hazard stickers on them.

Comment

***UPDATE*** 8-17-06:popc

Sorry fellas but it's been a while and I haven't been on, well because I don't have my skis anymore. I just want to give you an update on the recent events. The guy ended up suing me and taking me to small claims court. A couple of thing that happened beforehand: He came to my house about 4-5 months after demanding I pay him $500 to help fix one of the skis and he asked for the titles once again. I was in the backyard at the time and he was getting rude with my wife. I heard my my yell my name so I took my daughter off of the swingset and went to the front. He had his wife and 7 yr old daughter with him. He told me what he wanted and I refused. He then spoke spanish to my wife (I don't speak spanish) and called her a cuople of names. My wife isn't one to take no sh*t and will get mean and loud if put in the position. Well my wife goes inside to call the cops. His daughter gets scared and starts to cry. I calm the situation down and they leave.

About a month later his son calls and ask for the titles because they want to take them to Mexico again but don't want to risk them getting taken away because of the missing paper work (they took the skis to their "mechanic" over there once already). I tell his son I will go to the DMV the very next day and let him know what's going on with the titles (I had filed a "release of liability" form a month after the deal and they still haven't recieved the titles). I go to the DMV and ask why he has not gotten the titles. They say I can not transfer them because the finance company still has their name on the title. I never fully transfered them into my name only kept renewing the registration (totally my fault for that). The skis had been fully paid off for years. so I call the finance company and they tell me to send the proper forms and a money order or check for $40. I do what they tell me and call the son back to give him the info. He was suppost to tell his dad and either call me back or his dad call me back. I never heard a word.

Forward to 2-3 weeks later: I was going to do an errand and had my 5 yr old son and 18 month daughter. I was loading them in the truck and the guy happened to drive by. He made a uturn and pulled in front of my house. He jumps out of the car with his 17 yr old son and some other kid/man 18-22 yrs old. He basically gets in my face and tells me "What's up man, where's my titles?". He was pretty assertive and a little excited. I told him that I talked to his son and as I started to explain the situation, I get about three words before he cuts me off. I calmly try to explain again and get cutoff. On the third time I get cutoff I finally get mad and firmly told him that if he doesn't want to hear what I have to say then I have nothing to say to you and don't want to hear sh*t on what you have to say. It escalates from there and he steps back raises his arms and ask me if I want to fight. I told him I don't want to fight you because you ain't worth the trouble. He tries to get me to fight but I refuse and I turn to look at my kids in my truck and they were pretty scared. They kind of had me surrounded and cornered at my truck's passenger door. Fearing I was about to get jumped I ran to my garage (it was open) and got one of my many bats just in case. I told him that if he or his teo companions even try to step torwards me or my kids they will get hit. He looked like he got the hint and retreated to his truck. On his way he did tell me to watch my back and that he is going to sue me. I called the cops but they could not do anytihing because there was no punch thrown. I took down the license plate and gave it to them.

Two weeks later a sherriff shows up and hand me a subpoena. He was suing me for $5800. He claimed I said the skis (9 yr old skis) were working perfectly and that the titles were hard to get.

Court day 8-15-06: My wife came for moral support and he came by himself. The Judge tells us (and other cases) to go outside and try to see if both parties can come to a resolution before seeing the judge. We go outside (my wife stayed inside) and he tells me that all I have to do is give him back the $3800 and he will give me back the skis and all is done. All I offer him is the titles. He acts like he is going to win the cas easily and says if you don't pay me my money the Judge will make you pay the full $5800 for my work time missed and the filing fees. Ionce again only offer the titles. He then goes off and says my wife told me not to give him the money because she makes my decisions. I laugh and say she is here for moral support or she would be out here talking and not me. He laughs and tells me no and says she's the one telling you not to pay. I got mad and said "I don't care if she told me or not, I'm not giving you squat. Do you want the titles or not!" and then I told him he was disrespecting me and to never ever talk about my wife because I don't talk about yours. He gets mad and wants to fight me behind the courthouse. He tried to intimidate with his mexican macho BS but to no evail.

My wife comes out and says the Judge is in. The guy claims the skis are no good and that he has to pay $1700 to fix them. He could not come up with any estimates from a certified dealer and the only reciept he did have was for $138.65 for a start, which he probably busted after his son almost sank the running ski after not putting the plugs in. I told the judge that one ski was running good but the other did not start and that the plantiff knew about it. The Plantiff agreed after the judge asked. I also told him about the altercations. The guy was asked more questioned from the judge than I was. I knew I was in the right and felt good about my case. The Judge said he will go aver the case and that we will recieve the judgement in the mail two to three days from now...........

8-16-06-
                          Judgement...................Defendant does not have to pay the Plantiff any monetary settlement. Defendant does have to provide Plantiff with the titles. :D :emoticont He can still appeal and take to a court with a jury but I doubt he will since he lost so easily and will have to pay alot more to take me to court again.

Now I know I took way too long to get him the titles but I was in the right when I sold him the skis. Sorry for the really long post and thanks for reading my story.

Comment

Working...
                          X