Winterizing Yamaha 4-strokes (FXHO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing Yamaha 4-strokes (FXHO)

Does anyone really know how to winterize the Yamaha 4 strokes? The Operating manual doesn’t say and the Service manual is vague on the subject matter too.

I understand filling up the gas tank and running gas stabilizer through the fuel system is typical for all engines. Also I do not have to worry about the carbs issue because it is fuel injection. But should I still “fog” the engine through the “throttle bodies?” Or should I remove the plugs and spray some fogging oil in each cylinder and crank the engine over to coat the cyl walls?

From my understanding Yamaha’s DO NOT need any antifreeze, just “blow the water out.” Is this correct on the Yamaha 4-stokes too?

Thanks for you help.

Re: Winterizing Yamaha 4-strokes (FXHO)

do you store the waverunner in a garage and does it get freezing in there and how often??? I would think with seats on, the inside of the hull would remain a little warmer then the outside of it.

Comment

Add fuel stabilizer and run the engine for at least 5min to distribute, flush engine as usual, with engine 'off' spray fogging oil in each cylinder (air inlet) for about 3s by inserting the spray tube of the fogging oil approx. 1" into the inlet. Crank the engine over for a second but do not let it start otherwise let it run for 10s and start over when it's cold again. You just want to distribute the oil. Disconnect battery and store somewhere outside the ski. Dry it up, wax it, spit and polish as desired, spray everything down with teflon spray---done.
      DO NOT spray fogging oil in the cylinder with engine running until it dies (unlike 2-stroke). No need to remove spark plugs. Just check them after you de-winterized.
      There are mixed feelings about anti-freeze. The wrong type can clog the engine, personally I never used it but in FL this is not needed either. I store mine outside and cover it with a tarp.

Comment

Thanks for the advise. I live in Georgia so it doesn't get too cold either down here and i will be storing them outside next to the house.

I'm surprised that Yamaha doesn't tell people what the proper procedure is to Winterizing. I had a couple of 1999 TS1100R Tigersharks and the manual were very specific on how to winterize them. Never had a problem and it wasn't hard to do... just followed the directions.

JoeyO

Comment

I have a 2005 Yamaha VX110 (4-stroke) and I have been wondering how to winterize it. I agree with the original post on this subject in that the owner's manual could definitely provide more detail...but then again, that is why forums such as this exist! I read through the technical articles provided and got a good idea of everything to be aware of. However, I was still a little unclear on exactly how much winterizing a 4-stroke really needed. After performing a search, I found this thread....and the advice provided seems to cover everything that I think a 4-stroke would need in order to be winterized. Does anyone else have any advice to add for winterizing the Yamaha 4-strokes?

Comment

On Yamaha's be sure to spray the pumps inside and out with some type of corrosion inhibiter like CRC 626.
            Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Just for clearity I posted the below comment in another spot. I also agree with spraying the Pump with some type of Spray rust inhibitor (but I think on the FXHO the unit is stainless steel.... but it couldn't hurt it).

I have two 2005 FXHO and will be winterizing them myself. After asking this question myself and listening to everyone answers. I wnet back to the dealer and they said to follow the Operating manual for "long period of non-use."

This is typically found in the "maintenance section." Mine is located on page 4-3.

It states the following (I summarized a little)

1. flush the system with water with the hose connection for 3 minutes while idling (DO NOT LET THE WATER RUN WITHOUT THE ENGINE RUNNING). After 3 minutes turn off water and force remaining water by squeezing and releasing the throttle lever for 10 to 15 sec. (special note states DO NOT run engine for more than 15 sec without water running through engine)

2. STOP Engine

3. Remove Air filter cover and air filter

4. Spray rust inhibitor (Yamaha Stor-Rite Engine Fogging Oil) in to each intake opening for 3 Sec.

5. Install air filter and air filter cover

6. Start engine and let run at idle for 15 sec (special note states DO NOT run engine for more than 15 sec without water running through engine)

7. Lubricate all cables, etc

8. fill gas tank and use gas stabilizer, drain all water in engine compartment (if any)

9. Wash & wax, remove battery etc.

The Yamaha directions do not make sense to me because within 15 sec you will burn out the fogging oil in the cylinders. So I think I will go with the idea of spraying the fogging oil in the cylinder directly and “turning over the engine” so the fogging oil will coat the cylinder walls and rings. I'm sure it will smoke in the spring when I start them up for the first time. But at least the piston and rings shouldn't be stuck to the cylinder wall.

This is just my 2cents.

JoeyO

Comment

Originally posted by joeyo
                Just for clearity I posted the below comment in another spot. I also agree with spraying the Pump with some type of Spray rust inhibitor (but I think on the FXHO the unit is stainless steel.... but it couldn't hurt it).

I have two 2005 FXHO and will be winterizing them myself. After asking this question myself and listening to everyone answers. I wnet back to the dealer and they said to follow the Operating manual for "long period of non-use."

This is typically found in the "maintenance section." Mine is located on page 4-3.

It states the following (I summarized a little)

1. flush the system with water with the hose connection for 3 minutes while idling (DO NOT LET THE WATER RUN WITHOUT THE ENGINE RUNNING). After 3 minutes turn off water and force remaining water by squeezing and releasing the throttle lever for 10 to 15 sec. (special note states DO NOT run engine for more than 15 sec without water running through engine)

2. STOP Engine

3. Remove Air filter cover and air filter

4. Spray rust inhibitor (Yamaha Stor-Rite Engine Fogging Oil) in to each intake opening for 3 Sec.

5. Install air filter and air filter cover

6. Start engine and let run at idle for 15 sec (special note states DO NOT run engine for more than 15 sec without water running through engine)

7. Lubricate all cables, etc

8. fill gas tank and use gas stabilizer, drain all water in engine compartment (if any)

9. Wash & wax, remove battery etc.

The Yamaha directions do not make sense to me because within 15 sec you will burn out the fogging oil in the cylinders. So I think I will go with the idea of spraying the fogging oil in the cylinder directly and “turning over the engine” so the fogging oil will coat the cylinder walls and rings. I'm sure it will smoke in the spring when I start them up for the first time. But at least the piston and rings shouldn't be stuck to the cylinder wall.

This is just my 2cents.

JoeyO
                ok, so pull the plugs and spray in the fogger?
                how about the injectors? should i pull them too and spray it in?
                spraying in the air intake, then starting would lubricate the upper end, but then after that should i pull the plugs and spray it in there?
                spray down the engine and rubber, with wd-40 or something like that?
                and the impeller?
                remove battery, brign inside and on the trickle charger?
                anything else?

Comment

Keep wd-40 away from anything rubber and/or cable insulation. After some time the rubber will crack and cause all kind of problems. Use teflon spray, engine outside is ok.

Since you crank the engine over the oil distributes. Spark plug hole and injector hole are just wasted time and effort.

Impeller is stainless i.e. either teflon or wd40 or do nothing! Less is more.

Yes, remove the battery, check fluid level and charge. I don't use the trickle charger to inconvenient for me. I just hook it up in between. Add destilled water if applicable.

Use WD40 on throttle and steering cable in/oulets. Spray in every opening of those cables that you can find. Actuate the cables and repeat.

Store it and leave it alone til next season.

I'd also change the oil prior storage regardless of hours. Not required though. Fuel stabilizer is a must, let it run for 3 min after adding.

Comment

Confused????

Why would you spray WD in the throttle cable if that would cause the cable to crack?

I would spray any metal parts with some type of anti corosion spray since all metals except gold do deteriate some not as fast as others.

Comment

Originally posted by dank
                      Confused????

Why would you spray WD in the throttle cable if that would cause the cable to crack?

I would spray any metal parts with some type of anti corosion spray since all metals except gold do deteriate some not as fast as others.
                      I said 'inside' the cable i.e. at their openings at the handle bar and at their other end points. :emoticonn They are metal last time I checked.

Comment

Have you ever seen how they are made?

It is a spiral metal shield wraped with a plastic cover. Anything you put inside will work it's way out to the plastic cover. I have used WD and have had no problems for over 15 years but if you want to be correct you should use some type of cable lube that is desiged for cables.

Comment

Working...
                        X