Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access Cover Hinge

Newbie here.

I have a 1998 Sea Doo GSX. In June, I was riding in the speed lane on a local lake when the access cover on the front broke off and hit me in the face. I was diagnosed with a concussion and had to spend over night in the hospital. The plastic part of the hinge on the very front simply broke off thus shearing the latch and hinge at the other side of the cover (and closest to me).

I found that Bombardier recalled a different model (2004 Sea Doo RXP) for a similar problem but have not been able to find a recall for the WC that I run. I am wondering if anyone out there has had or seen this problem and if I should contact the Coast Guard about a possible recall on this model for this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Access Cover Hinge

I have a 98 GSX ltd. I have heard of no recall. My front hatch riped off while jumping wakes. I do know that I had cracks in the plastic holding on the hinge. The cracks came from trying to close the hatch without pulling the release. I didn't see the cracks as a big deal until the accident. In my case noone other than my wallet was hurt. The S.S. hinge stayed on the ski and the hatch tore off at the cracks. In your case I don't recall any part of the hinge being plastic.

Comment

ive seen them crack usually after a freind tries to close the lid without lifting the metal lock :emoticonc
      be good,
      if you cant be good,
      be carefull
      if you can't be carefull,
      buy a pram

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I should have said that the actual hinge is metal, and what broke off was the plastic that holds the hinge to the cover. The hinge did remain attached to the ski. I am guessing the force of that breaking and the lid flying up then broke off where the lid latches and the whole thing came flying back.

Thanks again.

Comment

The USCG and Bomb will probably not issue a recall because if the ski was always used in the manner that they reccomend (no jumping etc) then the plastic would not have a failure. Even though we all ride our ski's how they are meant to be ridden. The mfg's prevent a lot of liability by placing those neat little stickers ALL over our boats.

It's kinda like asking GRACO to recall a stroller because it fell apart while being pulled by a mountain bike down a mountain trail.... Not intended for that use lol.
          Dan Solie -
          04 RXP (the "Instigator")
          94 xp (freestyle mods)
          95 xp (faster than the 94)
          JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

The only way the hood rips off and flys back is if it was cracked to start with. I see plenty of them like that here.

The design of the GSX locking device on the front hinge to hold the hood up sucks. My guess is about 25% of the hoods get damaged are due to someone forcing the hood closed without pulling the strap first to unlock the hood holder mechanisim. This results in a hood hinge mount area crack everytime.

I think I see where this is going and it is my belief that SD, even though they made a poorly designed hood hold mechanism, should not be held liable for a hood that flys off if the hood was cracked due to improper closing of the hood by the consumer. The liability lies in the hands of the consumer who did not get it repaired before he went back out riding, IMO.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
            X