900 ZXI Exhaust hoses melting HOT ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 900 ZXI Exhaust hoses melting HOT ???

New sbt premium engine. Ski has set for some time, as soon as it went in the water it went about 100 yards, temp light came on ignition started to cut back. (had trickle out telltale) Turned it off, pulled a few hoses that were easy to get to with the screwdriver I had & blew through them & one seemed it might have had some resistance. Fired it back up, took off on an easy ride & all seemed well, not a real "stream" out the telltale but a good trickle. rode about 10-12 minutes, turned it off pulled the seat, it stunk, figured it was the paint & such burning off. Let it cool then went out again, 15-20 minutes fine, turned it off out in the middle of the lake, jumped in for a swim, noticed smoke coming from around the seat! Pulled it off, the very rear exhaust hose that makes the loop up over & across is blistered, very swolen, HOT & that was the burning smell I smelled earlier! the hose the connects the muffler to the intermediate pipe was also swolen but not as bad. What is going on with it! Can someone assure me of the Hose connections form the pump, to the expansion chamber & around the front cover etc... Thanks! It has sat again for a month after this I was so discusted that I didn't even want to look at it!!!

Re: 900 ZXI Exhaust hoses melting HOT ???

Call me and I can walk you through it. (949)661-4947 Dana Point JetSki, open 10-6 weekdays, 9-6 weekends ask for Aaron(service manager/tech)

Comment

Mine did the same thing, I had two colant hoses switched( the one to the stinger and the one to the manifold).

Comment

I got photos for you but the email address did not work.

Comment

Be sure your supply line and your dump lines are not crossed. There are 2 hoses coming from the rear. The one on top is the dump line (cooling water from the engine). The one on bottom is the supply line from the pump. It goes on the bottom of the exhaust manifold. The dump line connects to the rear of the stinger (the exhaust cone). If you have these on correct then you may have a blockage somewhere else. Before you start looking for blockage (possibly improperly installed gasket) do a flow check. With the engine cold remove the supply line from the exhaust manifold. Put the ski in the water on the trailer. Hold the supply hose up and over the inside of the hull. Start the ski and be sure the pump is supplying enough pressure from the pump. Run the motor just long enough to check the flow. I have seen worn out pumps not supply enough psi to push coolong water through the motor. An improperly installed exhaust manifold gasket or riser pipe gasket can also restrict flow causing this problem.
          WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Aaron the address is

pioneer_auto1@email.com

I had to replace the gasket where the expansion chamber bolts to the exhaust manifold. The original was a very nice stainless steel piece marked up & it had one small hole in it. The new one was "composite?'" but was not marked up^ Could that have anything to do with the problem? seems like that one small hole could go anywhere, I can't remember, been a couple months since I messed with it.

Thanks!
            Last edited by stacerbob; 10-13-2005, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Aaron I had the address wrong there was an underscore that I was forgetting. See edit above Thanks!

Comment

Hi

How do you get your cooling system clean again??

Comment

Working...
                X