X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie questions

Hi all,

Two questions.

1) I have a 94 Yamaha WRIII GP. I'm pretty sure that it is a 2-Stroke engine, but why does it have oil injection if it is? I got the Ski at the begining of the summer and I took it out once and it wouldn't plane off but it got full throttle from what I could tell. So now I'm going to rebuild the Jet unit because the engine seems to run fine except for it smokes a lot. This leads me to believe that maybe I am wrong for using an oil/gas mixture.

2) Do both 2 and 4-Stroke engines need to be winterized? If so, what is the difference between winterizing a 2 and a 4?

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: Newbie questions

Yes it is a 2 stroke.
    If it has injection, there is no need to pre mix, however you may choose to by blocking off the injector. One or the other. not both.

As for winterizing, it is pretty straight forward.

For both issues, go to the tech articles and read up.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Addicted.

So is it pretty safe to say that it is smoking excesively because I was using a mixture for fuel? Could I have damaged it further?

Thanks again,
      Chris

Comment

Excessive smoke is most definately from too much oil in your case. On the bright side, you probably only "damaged" the plugs. Pull them and take a look. The color should be similar to the pics in the plug reading tech article.

If you are going to keep the injection, replace the lines that go to the carbs. Just make sure that you bleed the pump after this. They are one of the main reasons for failure when they get old and stiff.

You have found a wealth of knowledge on this board, and all you have to do is search and read. Pretty much anything and everything has been covered at one point or another.

Good luck,
        Mike

Comment

Before rebuilding the pump, try just running it on regular gas (not pre-mixed) and change your plugs. Premix on top of your injection could be the cause of the poor performance.

Comment

To make sure you understand, your 2-stroke engine needs oil at all times. It gets it either from an oil injection system oil pump (which in a 1994 ski is getting a little long-in-the-tooth) - OR - from you pre-mixing the proper gas to oil mixture and running that through your engine without using the oil injection system (in other words, just through the gas tank). Pre-mix is always going to work if your mixture is correct but can be more trouble. Oil injection systems can fail and cause your engine to starve for oil and quit running (forever). Make sure you understand the difference before you go out again because misunderstanding whats been said here could lead to a catastrophic failure (and major expenses).

Addicted's comments about the tech support here is spot on!

Good luck, have fun.

jim
            '98 Yamaha GP1200<br />'98 Kawasaki 1100 STX

Comment

You didn't exactly say so, but I presume you're saying that you've been putting oil in a reservoir tank all this time as well as using the oil/fuel mixture?? If so then you've been doubling up on the oil. If you haven't been topping off an oil tank then keep premixing cause eventually that tank would run out and the premixed fuel would have been the only lubrication that motor had and you've saved your motor's "life" by the error.

Regardless, as the others say one of the other must be done, inject or premix on a two-stroke. Premix, PITA but is for sure protection for the motor. Inject, easy to do but when the pump goes, the motor goes soonafter.

Comment

I haven't had to top off the oil res yet because I only got it in the water once. I had engine problems at the time. Since I got the engine running smooth I put it in the water and it had no secondary thrust (it would not plane off). When I checked the impeller it was a little chewed up so I figured I needed to replace it anyway.

However after all I have heard it sounds like it has been a combination of impeller and gas problems. One of my best friends rode it before I bought it and he said he had no problem with it. He definately wouldn't lie to me because he hates the person (his boss) that he bought it from.

Unfortunately I cannot find anyone that wants to look at it for me other than my bro in-laws cousin who has already screwed me over for just about the whole summer.

I think I'm going to end up rebuilding the entire thing over the winter, but so far it has not been kind to me. I have already broke two bolts, one that holds on the drive plate and one in the impeller grate. I tried to get the one out that held on the drive plate, but it popped back into the hull when I tapped on it with the extractor and hammer. I can't believe how these bolts are held in place on the hull. There is some kind of plastic cup filled with a plastic mixture holding the nut in place. At this point I do not know how the hell I'm going to fix it, but if I have to I will improvise. Anyone with any suggestions regarding this latest problem would be greatly appreciated.

The good that has come out of all of this is that I understand more now how pwc's work and I think I may be able to repair it myself over the winter. If I can get this one working after the winter I think I will buy new next year and keep this one for anyone that wants to ride with me.

Anyone have suggestions what I should go with? Yamaha, Polaris, See-Doo, Kawasaki? I haven't heard good things about the Honda's since they are fairly new at PWC's.

Thanks again everyone. This forum kicks ***!

Chris

Comment

Heres a thread that will give you some info on the broken bolts and inserts.

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/sho...ght=ride+plate

The impellor being chewed up will definately kill your performance.

Do a compression check on the motor...if thats all good,I would just focus on the pump area and fuel(carbs).

If you want someone to work on your ski,contact 1fastski.com .He frequents this board and will not rip you off.He's up in Jersey somewhere.
                  Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

Skraggy,

Thanks for the thread link.

It turns out that Islandracing.net will be able to fabricate brackets to replace all of these problematic inserts. That's great because the other inserts do not look to good either. What's even better is that they are about 20 minutes from where I live.

Once again this forum came through for me big-time!

I will look into the repair shop mentioned in NJ. However, everyone I spoke to in this area will not even consider looking at my ski because it's a 94'. Which I do not understand because it does run. They tell me once the customer finds out how much it is to repair they no longer want the ski, then it gets dumped on them because the customer doesn't even bother to pick it up.

Not a problem as long as I don't have too much trouble finding parts. If all goes smoothly during the rebuild I will probably install one of the SBT engines after I get some use out of the OEM. I need to know the condition of the rest of the ski inside and out before I do that.

Thanks again everyone.
                    Chris

Comment

Hey Booya, just for your info, I put an SBT engine in my '99 GP 1200 about 18 months ago. After the break-in, I've been running great at both the lake and jumping waves at the beach. Their products and this forum are awesome, as well as the people here for ya.

Comment

Islandracing is a very good shop also from what I hear and see.You should be ok with them as well.I wasnt sure where they were located.

Thats funny that shops turn you down for service because they 'think' that you will not want to spend the money repairing an older ski.That just goes to show you that they are in it to make the most money that they can,by working on the newer more expensive ski's,where people will just blindly drop alot of money into thier ski...whether it needs it or not.Your better to stay away from them anyways....good call
                        Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

Working...
                        X