Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple question about engine bolts

Hey all,

Just a simple question. I have bought myself a clymers manual and was just wondering about loctite on some of the engine bolts. Basically my manual says to use:

1: Sealant on threads of crankcase bolts & synthetic grease on heads.
    2: Loctite on threads of cylinder/crankcase bolts & synthetic grease
    3: Synthetic grease on threads of clinder head bolts (ie: the 6 bolts on very top of engine) and loctite on the bolt head.

I was thinking loctite on all the screw threads and synthetic grease on all the bolt heads to aid correct torquing would be satisfactory. Am i wrong assuming this and should i meticulously follow the manual? Thanks for any input

Re: Simple question about engine bolts

Clymer's is confusing, and the author, Joe St.Louis is even more confusing!!!..use the OEM manual...and follow the directions.... The reason for blue threadlocker under the bolt heads is to function as a sealant to keep cooling water from seeping out of the top of the cylinder head.
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

OK thanks John-just one thing though, the OEM manual (which i purchased on CD) says to use loctite 515 (sealant) on the threads of the crankcase bolts. Why use a sealant? Unless loctite 515 also performs the same function as loctite blue threadlocker (which i though was what was supposed to be used on the crankcase bolt threads) won't the crankcase bolts shake loose?

Comment

I am not the engineer who specifies these items, nor am I the guy who wrote the service manual.....follow common guidelines......
        John Kubiak
        Powersports Technical Training Professional
        Las Vegas, Nevada
        Sea-Doo Tech 13736
        PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
        PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
        NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
        Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X