another defect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another defect?

I got my new SBT engine about 2 weeks ago. Everythign seemed just the way it was except for one thing upon assembly, the oil pump adapter was missing, or rather, had no way to work w/ this new crankshaft design. But was told that there has been a new updated adapter that wraps around the flywheel nut. It was said that this design is much more efficient.

What i want to know. has anyone experied a problem w/ this adapter? After riding mine for about 2 gas tanks (96 xp) w/ this new adapter peice, the fingers on the adapter broke, leaving the NEW (less than 5 hours) oil pump to have NO USE. Because of this, it has caused a siezure to one of my cylinders, with no compression (60 psi) this is the second engine from SBT i get. Origianlly, i expected to install my oil pump the way it used to, w/ the older design adapter.

After installing this engien and takign it out, it ran like a champ, everythign was the way it shoudl be. everythign ran correctly, and very happy. Now, after another siezed engine, i just dont know what to do anymore. should i go on w/ this again?

Because the way this engine ran, i do have hope that my next engien will run correctly. But is there a way to get my same engien w/ the older design adapter? I really do not like the idea that this new design uses fingers to grap against the nut. I'm very stressed and frustrated. Is there any way for me to get my new engine to come to my doorstep before i send it out to SBT?

thanks.

Re: another defect?

You have to be kidding me.

I have NEVER EVER heard of an adaptor failing like that, and the design has been used for over 8 YEARS on 787, 787RFI, 951 and 951DI engines. The adaptors we send out are direct from Sea-Doo too.

No we do not ship warranty engines without the return of the failed unit.

Call into warranty and we'll get you another block in the works.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

i know, thats exactly what i said, i really do not know what to do. this engine ran so well. i was amazed, after all the previous chaos. i had no hope, this engine really turned it around. adn then i find out it stalls after riding at high rpms(lockign up), really coudlnt figure out why it would sieze. until i test the compression to 60 PSI. tear it apart, and this is what i found. i think i just have bad luck with this. i really dont know. when an engine runs w/o oil, will one cylinder usually fry up? also, waht should a normal running piston look like after about 2 gas tanks? any pics woudl be reall appreciated.

is there a chance to get the old style crankshaft to use the older style designed adapter?

why doens't sea-doo make the new style adapter like a socket rather than to use it w/ just fingers. i would assume a socket style adapter woudl be much stronger

Comment

http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298

Comment

the other piston has a lot of dark spots, is that a sign of lack of lube? it doens't look anywehre near the normal running piston.

Comment

There is no point in guessing until we can get it back and tear it down. If you know the oil pump had a problem, you can stop right there.

Comment

what do i do now? do i use this same design and hope it works the next time and not break on me? or should i rely on the older design?

Comment

You don't understand. The CRANK is different, not just the adaptor - you do not have a choice of 'styles'. The numbers simply say there is no 'issue' with the later style, period. I really can't even guess why you had a problem - pictures may help. Perhaps Bill can think of something, but I simply have no experience with it's failure, ever. I can't even think of how you could install it incorrectly and have it work for more than a few seconds - maybe Bill can.

If by chance you get the older style crank in the next engine, that's the type you'll need. It's more likely you'll have the later style though, as there are far more in the field and thus far more that we use.

Comment

i was just totally bummed out to find out all the fingers missing when i pulled the cover right off. i was in total shock. i do know it was working at one point because when i had trailor tested it, i opened up the oil pump lever all teh way to see if it was moving, and i saw small tiny bubbles moving. i do know it was working at one point. btw, all the fingers were stripped off. i'll be filing a warranty claim tomororw. thanks for the help. if anyoen else has any input. i woudl apprieciate it.

Comment

could it be a bad oil puimp?

like the pump failed / locked up, and as the motor kept running, the fingers broke off of the adapter? i always recomend to my customers, to put on a new pump, or remove the oil injection all together. it jsut isn't worth it. even getting another motor, for free under warrenty, it is still alot of work, and down time on your doo. good luck. zig
                    please visit my link with pics of my many parts for sale

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/radracingpics/my_photos

email radracingpwc@aol.com

Comment

seems to me like you havne't read this forum at all. it states in the first post that this oil pump was brand new, from the beginning of my SBT engine. it hasn't locked up. it has less than 5 hours use on it. brand new from dealer.

Comment

actually i have read this from the beginning, it has just been a while. sorry, i was jsut trying to help!

if i have learned one thing in the 18yrs of working on watercraft, it is you never say never, and never say always. if you are absolutely sure it is not the pump, it will be.

good luck with your doo. zig
                        please visit my link with pics of my many parts for sale

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/radracingpics/my_photos

email radracingpwc@aol.com

Comment

eek, thats something i didn't want to hear. haha. it is a brand new pump though. like i said. brand new, used for the other 2 siezed sbt engines.

if the pump does lock up, what are the chances it will do that? i know i can turn it by hand right now, and it turns about the same with my old pump. they both feel about the same *turnign wise*

i compared the older styler adapter with the newer style adapter and the older one looks much stronger, which can hold a lot more torque becaue it's not just plastic but a nylon material. i would assume this adapter piece to work better than teh newer style finger style adapter.

Comment

Not that I am blaking the pump - I don't have it...but 'Brand New does NOT mean used for several hours over 3 engines! And nylon IS plastic.

Comment

I have never had a plastic/nylon or whatever oil pump drive break like that. But that certainly doesn't mean it can't happen.
                              I have seen oil pumps that were froze up or extremely hard to turn.

I just don't see this to be a major problem. Every late model 787 and 951 uses the that newer type of drive and I do not see them failing.
                              Bill O'Neal <br>
                              WCM
                              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
                              X