Opinions please!! New Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please!! New Purchase

Hi guys, im new to this forum. basically i want to purchase some sea doos and wanted your guys opinion. There is someone by me selling a 97 Seadoo XP and a 97 Seadoo HX with a 2001 Shoreline double trailer for 5700. Im going to offer 5000 if everything checks out good. is that a good deal? They said everything works perfect and both run great. There is about 50 hrs on the HX and 50 on the XP but the XP has a new motor installed. Is there any known problems i should look for? or problems that i should stay away from?

thanks
    mike

Re: Opinions please!! New Purchase

This post is going to sound harsh, I assure you I am not "lashing out" at you.

$5000.00 sounds awfully high for those two ski's check the low book value. (Kelley and NADA) They always say "everything works good" that is, until you own it.....

In my opinion you have already decided to buy these two skis, and have your heart set on them. You are here on the forum looking for support and approval for your choice, I will not give you that.

Don't be foolish, look very critically at these ski's 1997's with ONLY 50 HOURS????? If the average use is 25 to 100 hours per season, these should have at least 200 hours of use..What are they?? trailer queens???

Do yourself a favor, do the research, look at the low book value, find a local shop that is reputable and pay to have both skis evaluated for serviceability, including compression tests, and inspecting for hidden corrosion on the bottom side of the engines. Take the skis out on the water and ride them for AT LEAST 30 minutes each if possible.

There are numerous posts here on the forums seeking advice as to what to do now that the "proud new owner" is stuck with a piece of crap that he "just had to buy". There are posts here on the forums, including video segments that show and tell you how to avoid making costly mistakes on buying used skis use them and watch them, learn from other's mistakes!
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

thanks for the input and yes it was a little harsh..lol but i know your just lookin out for us no-nothings so we dont get screwed.

However, i did look up the prices on NADA and the hx low retail was little over 2000 and the xp was a little over 2500. Leaving 500 for a 2001 double trailer which i dont think is too bad. Your right on saying that i already like the skis and im getting excited, but if they are both in good shape i dont see how its not a fair deal. Thats y i posted here to see if i can find out anything too look for as far as problems or signs of problems with these 2 models. As far as the hours, i never knew what a normal amount of hours were per season, ill have to ask about that.. thanks..

Anyone else have any opinions i would love to hear them

thanks again
      mike

Comment

Actually, Now that buyers are entering dealerships expecting to pay around $7,000 for a new ski, but finding out that they need to spend 9-10 K on the one they wanted, prices have rebounded quite a bit on good clean used watercraft. I think $5K is not such a bad price, IF the two skis are in excellent running condition.

With that said, I still would not endorse any purchase of any used skis without a test ride on a lake. Remember, they all sound and run great on the trailer. So, either you get a written guarantee that they actually only have 50 hrs each AND that they are in perfect running condition and you get your money back if they are not as advertised, or you test ride both of them.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Hm. I was thinking about some kind of written agreement if i cant test them. Has you or anyone else done that before? Can you just type it up and have him sign it or have someone else do it?

thanks
          mike

Comment

Anything that is signed by him is a good tool to have in your arsenal if there is a problem. It doesn't matter who wrote it.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

At least do a compression check...

Comment

I would offer 4000 then go maybe 4500 tops depending on hull condition.

Check the compression, should be very close between cyl~5%

Look at the impellers from underneath with a flashlight are they original?
                Deduct from your offer if there bent or dinged bad, ask are they original?
                On the pipes is there corrosion comming from the casting plugs, they sometimes leak over time but with low hours should not.
                Are they clean? look for corosion and peeling paint on engines
                Chances are if the outside of the engine looks rough the inside is probably worse.
                I would be leary of an engine being replaced after only 50 hours. Ask Why?

Bill gave an good suggestion on conditional sale.

Ask the owner if they were flushed and fogged after every use.
                If he/she hesitates or gives you the wrong answer just walk away.

What State? (assuming USA)
                Get off the keyboard and on the WATER:emoticonr

Comment

If you are new to PWC's have a good PWC mechanic go through them. There are loads of potential problems. My brother purchased 2 used skis for $6,000 with trailer a great deal only to find out that they both had problems. So he is now into them for $11,000. not such a great deal.

Comment

well ive been emailing him as we speak but apparently, they bought them off the original owners about a year ago, the motor was replaced by the dealer right before they bought them. he siad the original owners never used them that much at all. The reason for the sale is they are going to use the money and just buy one new one for him, the wife never rode hers. the harness on the hx was replaced by them. I live in NJ by the way. I threw up the idea of either a good water test or a signed written doc

well see
                    thanks
                    mike

Comment

Also, i hear that alot about keeping good maintenece and flogging them and all that and weather im going to buy these or some others im gonna need to know how to do all that. So, what is the proper way to maintain them after coming out of the water. What is flogging? and what about winterixing

thanks
                      mike

Comment

Flogging was performed with whips and was used as a form of punishment prior to the birth of PWC's. You mean fogging. There are technical articles that can explain. If you are in N.J. find 1fst ski and have him look at them.

Comment

Read the tech articles here at this website and use the search feature. All of this has been covered numerious times.
                          Bill O'Neal <br>
                          WCM

Comment

Hi guys,

Well i checked out the skis today and they seem to be in nice shape. The engines and outside are very clean. The XP i would say definately has a new motor, veeeery clean and the hx probably does only have about 50 hrs on it cause it too is clean. They noth have been converted from oil injection to mixed, is that good?? We did notice some problems that although arent a huge deal, but its something i can use to get the price down. I was wondering if i could get some estimates from you guys though, just something rough to go by. I emailed some companies but i dont think they will get back to me quick enough, and i figured you guys have probably ran into these problems and have some kind of idea on repair costs. i figure on doing my own repairs so i just need estimates on parts

it is a 97 xp and hx
                            the xp needs a new battery most likely if not now really soon
                            the hx has a bad tempature sensor
                            and both fuel gauges dont work. I search on here and found that the "baffle" may need to be replaced? It might be something simpler then that but how much is one of those for both

the owners seem like nice, trustworthy ppl which pleased me but i stillnever let my gaurd down. I wanna shoot him a price soon so thats y im calling in for help

thanks a bunch (you already helped me tons and i havent even bought any skis yet lol)

mike

Comment

Originally posted by sweetcoupe
                              Hi guys,

Well i checked out the skis today and they seem to be in nice shape. The engines and outside are very clean. The XP i would say definately has a new motor, veeeery clean and the hx probably does only have about 50 hrs on it cause it too is clean. They noth have been converted from oil injection to mixed, is that good?? We did notice some problems that although arent a huge deal, but its something i can use to get the price down. I was wondering if i could get some estimates from you guys though, just something rough to go by. I emailed some companies but i dont think they will get back to me quick enough, and i figured you guys have probably ran into these problems and have some kind of idea on repair costs. i figure on doing my own repairs so i just need estimates on parts

it is a 97 xp and hx
                              the xp needs a new battery most likely if not now really soon
                              the hx has a bad tempature sensor
                              and both fuel gauges dont work. I search on here and found that the "baffle" may need to be replaced? It might be something simpler then that but how much is one of those for both

the owners seem like nice, trustworthy ppl which pleased me but i stillnever let my gaurd down. I wanna shoot him a price soon so thats y im calling in for help

thanks a bunch (you already helped me tons and i havent even bought any skis yet lol)

mike
                              Where in NJ are you? Definately talk to Chris (1fastski) the couple of bucks it would cost to have someone like him go over them is most likely worth it.

Used machines are always gonna have little glitches (as with used cars) so just be ready for the possibility of headaches to come
                              When in doubt throttle it out...

Comment

Working...
                              X