No announcement yet.

Jet Pump Leak tester (P/N 295 000 085)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Pump Leak tester (P/N 295 000 085)

I'm changing my jet pump oil and I see posts on this site that say you need to test your jet pump for leaks, Do most people do this or is it optional?
    If you need to do this where do you buy this tester and is this tester a general tester or just a tester made for doing this one task?

Re: Jet Pump Leak tester (P/N 295 000 085)

Most people need to do this unless you like to run your boat with water in the pump as a lubricant. You can get a pop off tester by calling Watercraft Magic 626-914-9509

Comment

Can this test be done while it is full of oil?

Comment

Yes

Comment

It should be done with oil in it. If water gets in the pump you will ruin the bearings that can lead to destroying the pump. Bill at watercraft magic sells the desired Mikuni pump. 10 seconds at 10psi. My Ex-dealer was testing for 2 or 3 seconds. I destroyed the bearings and now do my own pump service.

Comment

If your pump was free of water whan you pulled the cone why would you need to pressure test it? The only way it could leak is if you installed the cap plug crooked or if you pinched the new O-Ring. The cost of the pressure tester doesn't even offset the cost of multiple sets of seals and caged needles in your pump.

Comment

Originally posted by Riixxii
              Some people on this sight seem to think that its their way or no way, and that is totally not the case.
              Did you ever consider that the pressure test is used to verify that the seal on the impeller shaft is not leaking?? Or that possibly the o-ring got pinched while installing the cone? The pressure test is a final check prior to putting the fill plug in the jet pump, it only takes a few moments, and is a re-assurance that the pump is not going to leak. Most Sea-Doo owners will not notice a pump that has leaked all of the oil out, and allowed water in until there is virtually nothing left of the jet-pump assembly. This used to cost well over $800.00 (plus the impeller if needed) to fix, and now with the plastic pumps, it is about a $400.00 to remedy....A pressure tester and a few extra minutes of time are a heck of a lot less expensive than the jet-pump housing and all of the components to build up a new one.

Of course an expert tech, who is a
              Originally posted by Riixxii
              Platinum Service shop
              would NEVER send out an outboard or stern-drive lower unit without pressure testing it! Why then would he choose to do this to a Sea-Doo jet pump?
              Last edited by John Kubiak; 10-05-2005, 11:55 PM.
              John Kubiak
              Powersports Technical Training Professional
              Las Vegas, Nevada
              Sea-Doo Tech 13736
              PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
              PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
              NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
              Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

The fact that the o ring seal can be installed wrong is enough to warrant the test. I have lost my bearings due to moisture. the prop shaft also needed replacing due to rust along with spring and cap. Parts alone ~ $140.00 The pump is under $50.

Comment

Anybody who takes the gamble of not pressure testing the cone is not following simple OEM instructions. They are cutting corners.

I have assembled countless pump assemblies and cones, pressure tested them to find that about one in 7 seven or eight leak air.

I use oem sealants and have plenty of experence assembling the pumps and cones. And with all that experence, some still leak.

I consider it foolish not to check each and every one.

Way back when, I too thought I could get away without checking them. I learned the hard way that it gets expensive and takes alot of time if the impellor housing does not hold pressure, not to mention the pissed off customer.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM
                  <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

bill, how much do u sell the pop off pressure gauges for? are they mikuni gauges? i might be picking one up soon.

Comment

$50.00, Genuine Mikuni.
                      Bill O'Neal <br>
                      WCM

Comment

sounds good. it reads up to 30? or 100*?

Comment

They make them in 30,60,100 psi. Your choice.
                          Bill O'Neal <br>
                          WCM

Comment

Hey Kubiak, you used to teach at M.M.I. huh? Did you teach your techs to pressure test every gearcase when they changed the gear lube? Vacuum test too? If the front seal ain't leakin' when it came in, it ain't gonna leak when it leaves. The same goes for gearcases, if it ain't got any water in it when it arrives, it won't have any when it leaves. Try winterizing in the REAL world. You wouldn't have a prayer. We had a tech in training that went to every school, aced all the tests, could quote information from the S.M.'s that even the instructors couldn't remember. Give him a wrench and he was totally flabbergasted. What the he$* do I do with this?! You remind me of that guy, you blast so many peoples methods on this forum it isn't even funny. I went back and did a little backround and read every post you've responded to. Others should too! Your a dick. Helpful at times that is for sure, but your "book outbursts" and "don't evers" aren't very real world. There are a lot of "instructors" that plain and simple don't know there arse from the seat they always sit in. M.M.I.- melons, morons and idiots.

Comment

is this the same tester you use for carbs?

Comment

Working...
                              X