Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winterizing? where to putt anti freeze?

hi i have a 96 waverunner III and i had some questios abou winterizing? where do you putt anti freeze? what kind of anti freeze, low tox? how do you pump the anti freeze in? what tube does it go in? is my ski water cooled? if sombody knows could you walk me threw this...

thanks!!

Re: winterizing? where to putt anti freeze?

No anti-freeze needed.

Follow these instructions...
    http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13977
    Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

Given you are in wisconsin I would definitely winterize. You guys even heat your football field to keep it from freezing! I know yamaha says you dont have to winterize, but it takes 10 mins so why risk any damage.

Basically you need to buy a drill pump or some sort of electric pump that can be attached to a hose with a male end on it. Once you have the pump you pretty much follow the same process as flushing the ski, only instead of having the hose push water into the motor while running, you are pumping anti-freeze into the motor while it is running.
      In terms of steps:
      Start Motor
      Start Anti-freeze Pump
      run until you see green come out the back of the ski.
      Stop anti-freeze pump
      blip the throttle a few times to push excess anti freeze out
      Shut down the ski.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Yamaha does not say that you do not have to winterize.Winterizing is more than just this dam antifreeze subject.It is not necesary to use antifreeze.Explain to me why you would need to use antifreeze.I just posted the reason in another thread....if you look for it,maybe you can understand why it is not needed.

Antifreeze is to keep water from freezing and expanding and cracking water jackets that are 'full' of water.If the jacket is not full of water,there is no way in h3ll it will cause any damage.Get your facts straight before leading or misleading others please.

skeee...follow the instructions in the link I posted for you,and you will be just fine.

Comment

I live in north jersey, have 2 ski's, polaris and yamaha, 5 or so outboards, and other 2 strokes that i don't use over the winter. It gets pretty cold here, and i have NEVER used antifreeze, or had any problems. The key to winterizing is fogging the engine, and stabilizing the gas. As long as you do those propperly, the water will be blown from the block, and any remnants will be so little that even if it does freeze it won't do any damage. Besides, you don't want to be spilling antifreeze on your driveway, or in your lake. It eats paint and kills animals.

Comment

I agree. I never use antifreeze. Just just add gas stabilizer, start the engine up on the hose, fog it thoroughly into the carbs, turn the water off and give it 3-4 quick pulls on the throttle to get the bulk of the water out, then shut 'er down. Pull the plugs and add about a tablespoon of 2cycle oil to each cylinder, crank the engine over a couple of times, pull the batteries, spray the engine down thoroughly with silicone spray and put 'er to bed for the long winter. :(

Comment

I don't understand why people on this site are so quick to play "Know it all" and criticize. I stated in my post that Yamaha does not require winterization, but recommended it as a precaution, because it is easy and cheap to do.

Fogging is not absolutely necessary, but people do it because it is cheap, easy, and can prevent damage, however rare it may be.

Comment

Originally posted by CTXL1200
                Fogging is not absolutely necessary, but people do it because it is cheap, easy, and can prevent damage, however rare it may be.
                YES it IS absolutely necessary - unless you want your rings rusted to your cylinders, and surface rust on your bearings/walls!
                SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I don't understand why people on this site are so quick to play "Know it all" and criticize. I stated in my post that Yamaha does not require winterization, but recommended it as a precaution, because it is easy and cheap to do.

Assuming that you are talking about me ?

I dont claim to know it all,I mentioned to you before that I only reply to subjects that I DO know about,or I will research the problem and THEN reply.I have been doing mechanics for nearly 20 years now,and have been trained and certified in many fields.I have had to correct you three times now.I'm not saying to stop posting,but just to make sure that you are leading people in the right direction.It would suck for someone to take incorrect advice and end up having to shell lots of money to fix a problem that they were misled on.

There is alot of really good information in the tech articles and vids.I have learned alot from them,and from working on various ski's....mostly Yamaha's.That is why you usually only see me posting in the Yamaha forum,because they are the only one's I am really familiar with.

Comment

Dude, trust me you need to Fog. Your putting a coating of oil through your choke and carbs, and beyond as explained by a previous poster. You would be a fool not to fog. However pumping toxic antifreeze through your watercraft is completely un-necessary.
                    Read your manual.
                    :emoticbar

Comment

I really want to believe antifreeze is not required, and I know it's not mentioned in the Yamaha manual, but my question is why does the shop i've gone to in the past say they run antifreeze into the ski as part of the winterization, and why does Riva Yamaha, a recognized expert in the PWC field include running antifreeze into the craft in their winterization instructions????

L.

Comment

Overkill. The water simply does not pool in the system. Adding antifreeze does absolutley nothing for your engine. During normal storage, there is a tiny bit of water left in the waterbox, and it's not enough to do any kind of damage, simple as that. Sea-Doo's require it because they have different cooling routings and passages than the other OEMs, and there IS water left in the engine.

This has to be the 100th time this has been posted.

Everyone, read the tech article, watch the videos. We do not need to rehash winterizing every single day as soon as cool weather rolls in. The info has been here for years and it's still right.

Closed.
                        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                        X