Are NGK Iridium plugs ok to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are NGK Iridium plugs ok to use?

I bought some in the same heat range as the regular NGK and they seem to work fine, does anyone have any input? I bought them for performance and less plug fouling.

Re: Are NGK Iridium plugs ok to use?

In my opinion, The iridium spark plugs are a waste of money in a two stroke PWC engine...they are way too pricey for any minor benefit they may provide...Most spark plug fouling problems are fuel and/or oil quality or quantity issues normally associated with improper tuning of the engine.

Many times, in the many years I have been working with many different types of vehicles and engines I have found a common installation mistake made by many people; novice and expert alike.

THEY DO NOT PROPERLY TORQUE THE SPARK PLUGS!!!!!

The specs are 17 foot-pounds or 1/2 to 2/3 of a turn after the crush washer touches the cylinder head.

This can and will have a direct effect on spark plug life, and the plug's ability to resist fouling. This will sometimes make a normal, properly tuned engine to appear to be "fouling" it's spark plugs!

This is quoted directly from the NGK Spark Plug website:

Athough this website does not specifically state "for PWC" the same data applies.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techin...1300&country=US

"Torque is one of the most critical aspects of spark plug installation. Torque directly affects the spark plugs' ability to transfer heat out of the combustion chamber. A spark plug that is under-torqued will not be fully seated on the cylinder head, hence heat transfer will be slowed. This will tend to elevate combustion chamber temperatures to unsafe levels, and pre-ignition and detonation will usually follow. Serious engine damage is not far behind.

An over-torqued spark plug can suffer from severe stress to the Metal Shell which in turn can distort the spark plug's inner gas seals or even cause a hairline fracture to the spark plug's insulator...in either case, heat transfer can again be slowed and the above mentioned conditions can occur."

Make sure to properly gap/install/torque your spark plugs.
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Re: Are NGK Iridium plugs ok to use?

i would only use standard NGK plugz. Like John said Iridium plugs are a waste of money. For ignition if it didnt come with it from the manafacter dont use it.

Comment

Working...
      X