Ultra still not running right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ultra still not running right

If it is slow off the line your low speed screws are out of adjustment. This will foul the plugs fast.
    Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
    2002-1100STX DI
    2004-15F
    2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

OK, thanks Paul. With Compression guage in hand and shop manual, I'm off to the lake for the weekend to check all this. (Spark Plug Torque, Compression, Oil Pump cable and low speed adjustment screws). Will return Monday with results (and a back to normal ski, I hope) I thank everyone for there input and have a great weekend!:emoticonc

Comment

Hey Mate,
        I nearly gave up on Kawasaki, anout 6 months ago, I have had three Kawa's in the past 5-6 years and all three have had the same issue as you described, I was super impressed with the same results as you from the local kawa dealer. I did how ever get to talking with another kawa owner, and we nutted it down.
        I ran all the same checks as your self, BUT.. have you checked your leads? at the plug end they get bent quite alot every time the ski goes up/down and when you change the plugs.

I removed the rubber plug connector and cover, buy cutting the cable tie and unscrewing the screw, this should come off pretty easy and will prolly be a bit corroded, I hooked in and cut off 1" of the lead and re-connected the plug connector and cover. upon investigation of the section I cut off it was all broken in several places. Have a guess what happened next time down the lake???? it ran like new ski, and should with 105 psi compresion in all three.

Another common prob can be if it is running in limp mode, check your tell tail is strong? if not, pull the pipe that comes from the engine to the outlet off and the sensor out, simply blow them out with a compressor and re-install, they can get blocked with salt and sand.

Now, I have had to do both these fix's three times (on three diff skis) and it has revived them all, when I thought they were gone.

Note:
        1. You should replace these lead's, this should only be temporary fix/test, however here in aus a set of leads for the 1100STX are $700 .... so Mine is still on the fix, 40 hrs later and going strong.

2. If you choose to cut the leads, do NOT cut more than an inch and check BEFORE you cut that the lead will still reach the plug

Gook Luck and I hope this helps.

Stirlo.

Comment

Re: Yeah!!!..It's Fixed!!

:emoticonb OK, the results of the weekend test are in, and I'm happy to report the ski is fixed (ran it all day sat and sun...like new again and no fouled pluggs!!

The winner of the "Fix My Jet Ski" contest is......

FastUltra
          SBT Tech
          and
          ss454trk
          It was the oil pump cable, not out of adjustment, but off the pulley, hanging limp, doing absolutely nothing when the trottle was operated.

It's sad that two trips to a dealer (and $450) didn't catch that (they couldn't find anything wrong with it) from a trained kawasaki mech (starting to doubt that)...anyway...that dealer has seen the last of my hard earned money. Going to write the owner of the shop a letter and let him know it too...

Anyway...thanks to all that participated and special thanks to the 3 above...soon as I pullled the seat off and looked down there..(after looking at the manual I just bought) it was obvious that the cable was not on right and 30 secs later and a new set of plugs..and I'm back in business!!

Comment

Glad it was something simple. Is the oil pump hidden on an Ultra??
            Every Ski I've seen they are in out in the open. No way any mechanic should have missed it.

Comment

There is no way a mechanic should miss the pump cable. It is not the easiest thing to see on an Ultra, but still it should be one of the first things you check. Don't go back to that dealer...
              Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
              2002-1100STX DI
              2004-15F
              2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

No, not hidden, and once I knew what I was looking for, it was obvious just by taking the seat off and looking at the front end of the motor.

And you're right FastUltra...(once again) no way a beginner mechanic that had any training should have missed that and certainly with two trips into the dealer with that complaint, should have been the first thing he looked at. Their reputation is mud to me and everyone I can tell.

Comment

Pretty sad that a dealer missed that. Happy Riding!!

Comment

Working...
                  X