Ultra still not running right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra still not running right

OK, this is my second attempt at this. Only got two responses last time and neither contained the fix. 2001 Ultra 150 fouls plugs after 3-5 hrs. Had it to the dealer twice and they can't seem to find anything wrong other than plugs fouled. They seem to foul in order, #1 first, #2 second and within 3-5 hrs of replacing. Using stock plugs, which it ran fine on for 4 years (1 set). Fuel lines, filter and return lines and check valve all ok. Not sure about fuel pump, although my filter never seems to have more than a tablespoon of gas in it. Changing the plugs is all it needs to run fine, for 3-5 hrs. I did use a gallon of Yamalube just prior to all this when I couldn't find any kawasaki oil one weekend, would this make this kind of problem? HELP!!!

Re: Ultra still not running right

try Ultra150.com. i'd be looking at the oil pump. i think the ultra is variable oil ratio, so if that adjustment is off...

Comment

Definitely check the oil cable. No Yamalube would not do that. What is your top RPM when it's running correctly? What plugs are you using?
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Runs right around 6800-7000 rpm right after new plugs installed. Using the stock NGK BR9ES plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by LuvToSki
          Runs right around 6800-7000 rpm right after new plugs installed. Using the stock NGK BR9ES plugs.
          Many times, in the many years I have been working with many different types of vehicles and engines I have found a common installation mistake made by many people; novice and expert alike.

THEY DO NOT PROPERLY TORQUE THE SPARK PLUGS!!!!!

The specs are 17 foot-pounds or 1/2 to 2/3 of a turn after the crush washer touches the cylinder head.

This can and will have a direct effect on spark plug life, and the plug's ability to resist fouling.

This is quoted directly from the NGK Spark Plug website:

Athough this website does not specifically state "for PWC" the same data applies.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techin...1300&country=US

"Torque is one of the most critical aspects of spark plug installation. Torque directly affects the spark plugs' ability to transfer heat out of the combustion chamber. A spark plug that is under-torqued will not be fully seated on the cylinder head, hence heat transfer will be slowed. This will tend to elevate combustion chamber temperatures to unsafe levels, and pre-ignition and detonation will usually follow. Serious engine damage is not far behind.

An over-torqued spark plug can suffer from severe stress to the Metal Shell which in turn can distort the spark plug's inner gas seals or even cause a hairline fracture to the spark plug's insulator...in either case, heat transfer can again be slowed and the above mentioned conditions can occur."

Make sure to properly gap/install/torque your spark plugs.
          John Kubiak
          Powersports Technical Training Professional
          Las Vegas, Nevada
          Sea-Doo Tech 13736
          PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
          PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
          NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
          Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks John, I got this on the first time around and as I aluded to in this second attempt, this is not the problem. Plugs are torqued, gapped and stock type. But thanks for re-iterating the importance.

Comment

try disableing the oil pump and premixing.
              see if that solves the prob.
              if it does then you have it narrowed to the pump or pump adjustment.
              have you done a compression check?.. that comes first ALWAYS!!!!!

Comment

Dealer did compression check on one of the two trips in there that cost me $450 and no results. Will try disabling oil pump and premixing. Is there a recommended way of disabling the pump?

Comment

3 things come to mind, and I can't remember if I told you this in your older post or not.

1: Check the oil pump cable make sure it is adjusted correctly. If you don't know what the exact specs are, post and I will tell you them.

2: How does the engine run when it is on new plugs. Is there any heisation at all? Does it bog down when you go from idle to Wide Open? Does it seem slower then normal? (When it is running on good plugs?)

3: Not all oils are created equal. I doubt that running Yami lub makes a difference, but I have never ran it in either of my 1200 so I don't know how it would react. Again I doubt that is the problem... but just stating everything I can think of that will cause this.
                  Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
                  2002-1100STX DI
                  2004-15F
                  2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Thanks, while it runs much better on the new plugs, it does seem to bog down from a standing stop. I have the manual for the oil cable specs.

Comment

Not an Ultra expert but I don't think it can be converted to pre-mix.

Comment

Correct you can not convert an Ultra to premix.

If you are fouling plugs during normal riding then you have a problem.

What speed/s are you running when the #1 fouls out?
                        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Oh I'm convinced I have a problem. It ran like a raped ape for 4 years on the same set of plugs. Now I can't get 5 hours out of a set.
                          I feel the first cylinder quit at about 2/3 trottle, just cruising. But over the 3-5 hour period that the plugs do last, it's been operated at every speed from idle to WOT.

Comment

What are you exact compression numbers right now?
                            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I don't know. The ski is 4 hrs away at my lake house. When it went to the shop they said they checked the compression and it was fine. Going down this weekend, I'll take my guage and get a set.

Comment

Working...
                              X