Crank Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank Bearings

i have my 92 sl650 motor ripped apart for a rebuild and the crank bearings need replacing. I have never worked on a motor that used roller bearings on the crankshaft and would like any info on doing this job. I have access to all the tools needed i think and i am an industrial mechanic so doing the work is no problem just not sure about the procedure or specs.

Re: Crank Bearings

i am not positive, but i know the crank is pressed together, and the OEM service manual should have the specs and procedures.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Bear
      i have my 92 sl650 motor ripped apart for a rebuild and the crank bearings need replacing. I have never worked on a motor that used roller bearings on the crankshaft and would like any info on doing this job. I have access to all the tools needed i think and i am an industrial mechanic so doing the work is no problem just not sure about the procedure or specs.
      Do yourself a big favor, get a reman crank from SBT...

The cranks are pressed apart with a hydraulic press, and re-assembled using some special measuring fixtures. It is best to take the crankshaft to a reliable rebuilder to perform these procedures. For most of us, shops and individual DIY'ers as well, it is more cost-effective to purchase a SBT re-man crank, as it has all new bearings, inner seals, and con-rods, all of the other components are meticulously cleaned, inspected, reassembled on specially designed press (SBT has the patent on this press, United States Patent 6363609). Then trued on specially designed equipment, and process (SBT has the patent on these as well, United States Patent 6408663). Plus SBT has added several specific processes to strengthen the Polaris (Fuji) crank design to help stop the torsioning and twisting that normally occurs.

All for a price that is less than the retail price for the rod kits and the main bearings and inner seals!

Polaris 650/750/780.......$375.00 here's a link http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=20-3
      John Kubiak
      Powersports Technical Training Professional
      Las Vegas, Nevada
      Sea-Doo Tech 13736
      PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
      PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
      NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
      Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks, John

I thought it may be a bit much for me to do. i may look into buying a complete motor since the top end needs a rebuild as well. I just have to find a way to avoid paying duty at the border since i am in canada. Bought jeep parts a while back from alabama and paid $65 US($120 cdn up here) and had to pay $45 cdn. in duty, so it was not worth it.

Comment

Working...
        X