Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fx 140 Speed Question???

Originally posted by YoYamma
    Edisit, how many hours (approx.) have you put on the ski since you added the stacks/filter?
    Edisit, any reply on this...

Comment

Sorry but I just put in the mods so less than an hour until next year. Our season is over up here. If your wondering I don't expect this filter to have the same problem as the OEM filter. There is nothing for the oil to soak into.

Comment

Well, bringing this one back to life... still only getting 9200 rpm on the pair of fx 140's. I did notice the OEM filters I replaced are showing some oil or oil like build up on the inside (outside surface of filters still looks new).
        Sooo, I am still considering the stack kit/power filters, I asked my dealer about installing them, and warranty issues... he called Yamaha and they told him it would not void the remaining 4 yr. warranty, "UNLESS there is a failure due to the mods." This leaves me with a risk. It appears as though Yamaha has designed a performance problem and I can't fix it for more than a few weeks without buying more of their expensive filters.
        Which leaves me wondering;
        1. Did I read somewhere that the stock filters on the FX 140 are designed to reduce engine flooding in case of a flipped ski?
        2. If these power filters are used, will they pose a problem regarding engine flooding/water intrusion?
        3. Are these same OEM filters on the newer HO models? If so, I may be ready to sell these and go with a couple of Hondas.
        Last edited by YoYamma; 01-21-2006, 10:36 AM.

Comment

pretty much everything has been said YY. breakdown and put a freeflow airfilter and some stacks ontoit. you'll like it. ya might even get yer rpms back for a couple a c notes.....if yer oem airfilter is oil soaked, it's got to be replaced anyways. and that's a note right there. if yer worried about yer warrenty. put the oem stuff back on prior to takein it to the dealer....as for the water injestion, i don't know. do you flip yer fx140's often?
          02 fx140
          ppk
          solas 12/19 sb impeller
          riva high flow air filter w/ volisity stacks

72 trisonic 1700 caprice, 165 merc i/o

Comment

Jim, thanks for your reply.
            Yeah I'll probably get'em... as soon as I get some better answers to my questions. Let's see, I think you're only the second person who has replied who actually has these things installed (and the other had only 1 hour on the parts)... may I ask, how long you have had them on? How many rpm's and mph are you getting now as opposed to before? Like you, I'm not sure about the water issue... As for inversing the skis, not yet--but you never know--we get pretty aggressive on these things sometimes and they do get wobbly if you put a couple of teens on the back of the seat or pull or a 6 foot tube!

Comment

YY where in Florida are you?

Comment

Hey David, we are in Clermont, about 20 minutes west of Orlando.

Comment

yy, i got 198hrs on my ski. i did the ppk, impeller, and freeflow air filter at about 95hrs. at 95hrs i was loseing rpms, just like you, was down to maybe 9600-9700. a loss of top end too. the oem air filter was oil soaked. when the ski ran correct, prior to the oil soaked airfilter, i was gettin 10000 rpm or so @ 49-50 mph, gps. i put the air filter, ppk, and impeller on first. that got me 10100 rpm @ 54 mph or so, gps. and a better hole shot. about 125hrs i did the stacks, that got me 10200 rpm @ 55mph. gps. i can usually get 56mph but claim it to do 55 and have a best reading of 57.1 gps on a ripple on a real long run. as fer the water injestion, i don't know man, i guess it comes down how ya want to use it and what you want out of yer machine. i agree, they wallow at max load cap. and at low speed. i guess i try to do 2 up more so, so that i don't have that issue, then i can go for the go fast parts feeling a little better that i won't flip it....yer call on that...i say, go for it, ya will like the speed and it will be worth it...i've had no issues with my mods at all.
                  02 fx140
                  ppk
                  solas 12/19 sb impeller

Comment

Hey Jim, great information I really appreciate your input...
                    that's what i was looking for; long term improvement. I think I'll go ahead and have our local Yammy dealer install these on both skis.
                    couple quick questions:
                    Are you using the Riva parts shown in the photo previously in this thread?
                    What is the ppk?

Comment

yep, just used what riva had to offer. same as in the previous post i think. ppk, is a pump plug kit. or pump seal kit as riva says it is. it is just a few hard rubber pieces that fill in voids in the intake duck. these voids are said to cause cavitation, with the ppk installed it according to riva "significantly reduces cavitation". like i said i did mine in two steps. the ppk, impeller and airfilter. there was a noted better hole shot and higher top speed readings. which of these components individuly did what i don't know. i'm guessing the impeller winds up faster as it has a low pitch to the 12/19 for hole shots and high pictch for speed. the ppk helps keep it from cavitation, which is way bad, as cavitation eats SS and dosent produce thrust. and the airfilter let it get the air it wants, and needs to breath. if i had to do just one of these mods i'd do the airfiler. very easy to R&R too..... i think it's been address before in this thread. but if ya do the volisty stacks you have to replace the oem airfilter too. the aftermarket airfilter becomes the coastguard approved flame arrester as the stacks have no mesh screen over them as do the oem ones.
                      02 fx140
                      ppk
                      solas 12/19 sb impeller

Comment

Great, thanks again, will let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Dealer ordered the parts this week for both skis; stay tuned...

Comment

OKAY...
                            Tested the skis yesterday with the Riva Velocity Stacks and Power Filters installed; half tank of fuel in both skis, glass water, air temp 60 degrees, low humidity & clear skies. The skis have 141 and 144 hrs. respectively.
                            Dream-o-meter before: 50-53 mph
                            Dream-o-meter after: 61-64 mph

Acceleration: excellent, feels a lot faster on the hole shot, nice boost overall and pretty much same as our test a few months ago with brand new OEM filters and later test run with air filter completely removed. So, very pleased overall, the real question--let's see if the performance boost lasts, which was the purpose of my original post on this thread.
                            Will report back in about 30 days.
                            Last edited by YoYamma; 01-27-2006, 11:04 AM.

Comment

yy, cool, glad ya got yer rpm's back. i was hopeing ya would. are you sure about the 11k-12K for rpms? i just looked at my service book and it says maximum performance is 140HP @ 10K rpm. if yer really reading 11k-12k i would be suspisious that something isn't right. my book is for a 02 fx140 (fx100A), so i suppose it may not apply to yer 03's. but i'm thinking that the specs are the same.

i'm guessin yer mods will last for ya. there's no paper airfilter to get oil soaked and prevent yer toy from breathing...out of cuiorisity, how do you check yer oil level?, these toys are a bummer to check the oil level on. and to full is as bad a to empty...with yer rpm's back with just a filter and stacks, i would guess that yer old filter was oil soaked again. perhaps from being overfull on oil.....just some more food for thought for ya....... :).
                              02 fx140
                              ppk
                              solas 12/19 sb impeller

Comment

Hey Jim, yeah I have the manual also you're correct, but the meter on the skis are both showing over 10,000 rpm... I can only guess as to their accuracy.
                                The OEM filters I replaced still look new on the outside but are showing a little oil/dirt on the insides but not soaked like the old ones.
                                I have never put oil in these things. When we first got the skis I read the manual for the silly method of checking the oil and decided to let the dealer handle it. They fill it for me and they top it off when required.
                                I'm mechanically challenged which is why I chose Yamaha... in fact, machines tremble when I look at them. :emoticonc

Comment

Working...
                                X