Fx 140 Speed Question???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fx 140 Speed Question???

A few months ago we dropped in new OEM air filters in our two 2003 fx 140s, and I was surprised to see the speedos jump to 63 mph... speed has slowly gone back to normal 53-57 range on the speedos. Which leaves me wondering, what are the best ways to create more permanant speed increases to these great skis?
    Last edited by YoYamma; 01-19-2006, 11:30 PM.

Re: Fx 140 Speed Question???

Helloooo, anybody home?

Comment

www.islandracing.net has performance parts and packages for you. Your speedo reading however is meaningless - look to your tach for an accurate performance reading. If you are really dropping performance, look on the filter for any oil deposits - your engine may be overfilled.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Great thanks will check that out. The old filters were oil damaged by previous owner, local Yammy dealer changed oil in both skis. Current performance is normal/good, just looking for any owners of this ski who have seen speed increases with specific mods... I would imagine some of the mods are better than others, and some may be a waste of money. Any riders with experience in this area and FX140 please step up!

Comment

YO--- the aftermarket filters are what you want. they do not get oil soaked like the oem ones do causing the loss of performance. there are a few bolt on performance upgrades you can do to your 140's. believe i put up a list on this forum a while back in the performance section. feel free to call if you have any questions.
          www.ISLANDRACINGPERFORMANCE.com

www.ISLANDRACING.net

Comment

Ahhh, great... I was just checking out the Riva Velocity Stack Kit and Power Filter on your site, what type of speed increases are you seeing with those kits? Also what bolt ons do you suggest for FX140? I am not a mechanic so it needs be simple if possible.

Comment

Come on people, how about some feedback!!!!
              Heading to another forum... check back later.

Comment

You already have your answers - start reading!
                SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

LOL, I'm reading believe me... and thanks for your replies.
                  Not sure I have answers, you need to read also...
                  My filters are not oil soaked that was never the Q. I am not dropping performance, the skis are running normal; I want more speed, thus investigating the most worthwhile mods for the dollar based on experience.
                  My unanswered questions so far include:

1. RE Island: Riva Velocity Stack Kit and Power Filter on your site, what type of speed increases are you seeing with those kits? no answer.
                  Let's get this info on the forum so all can see what your mods are doing in the real world; surely you have testimonials from satisfied customers?
                  Help me, I may be your next one.

2. Also what bolt ons do you suggest for FX140? -- would like an answer from experienced buyer/rider not just the gent who sells parts.

3. looking for any owners of this ski who have seen speed increases with specific mods. (so far no one in this category has replied with any specific experience or stats on their skis, did I miss something?)

I just don't want to waste money on mods that don't work that well or don't create lasting speed increases. Seems like a fair question.

Comment

Yo Yamma,

With the full Riva Rpm Kit ( or bits of Riva and other brands) you can expect an FX 140 to have similar power characteristics and top end as a "STOCK" FXHO.

You will have around a true world 58-59mph top end... not a recording on the speedo. They are too inaccurate for the mods "increase" to be recorded consistantly. Buy a cheap GPS unit an attach it ... you have to know where you are before can go forward.

With limited mechanical ability be careful bolting on the trumpets. If they are like the FXHO airfilter box the " bypass valve motor" has to be relocated. You would also be wise to invest in a factory manual, use a torque wrench and the compounds (locking) on the various parts that need to re-installed when changing the trumpets. The fasteners are small and must not be overtightened which would possibly distort some faces or take the fastener beyond its elastic limit. The stepper motor has to be relocated to the filter housing itself which requires a template to be placed over it and then it is drilled. I'm not saying dont do it ...but its better to be experienced when changing them.

Changing the stock filter for the high flow doesnt give you a great gain if you dont change the trumpets. The stock trumpets are restrictive with the flame arrestors in them. Once the trumpets and high flow filter are done the next restriction is the resonator in the rear. This is changed for the free flow to decrease backpressure and give a small drop in engine temps. The freeflow is an easy install ...you have to cut a collar from the factory rubber outlet pipe. This requires a keen eye and a good blade.

The pump seal kit is a pain to install. The pump shoe is not difficult to remove but the bolts must be heated to denature the factory locking compound or you may spin a bolt in its boss. This would be a nightmare to fix. I use a small butane torch on the centre of the bolt head for a count of 7-8 then try to undo. Experience is needed here really. Sealing the shoe to the hull is the pain bit.

Same goes for the rideplate and intake bolts heat is a must in all but new craft.

The Impeller can be a real pain for the novice and I wouldnt recommend it without good mechanical knowledge and at least the factory manual. It requires special tools ( shaft spline holder) to undo and replace the impeller. Special locking compounds are a must on the thread so you can get it off next time. The shaft spline requires a certain grease ..no biggie.. you just have to get it. The pump members need a special sealing compound to reinstall after a good clean to remove the old compound. The 4 bolts need to be tightened evenly and to a set torque ...there are machined faces and dowel pins that have to mate properly.

Sponsons are no big deal but heat is required to remove the bolts as they hold fairly tight with the factory compound. Spin one of these and you are in deep poo-poo. There is no access to the boss from the inside because of the inner flotation mouldings.

In my opinion I'd go in this order to improve ski (as best value for gain).

1. Intake grate. ( The FXHO's require a pump seal kit at same time but 140's are ok according to Riva.

2. Rideplate.

3. Trumpets, Airfilter and free-flow at same time.

4. Pump seal and impeller change.

5. Sponsons.

Expect (approx) 1..25 mph with 1&2 ..another 1.5 with 3 ... another 1.5 with 4 ... giving 4-5 max gain with the kit.

This doesnt give the full story though ... a FX140 with the kit handles like a dream and sticks to the water in turns, much better ...stays much flatter and and aerates far less in hard turns. It makes the craft very sporty compared to the stock 140. It actually feels more nimble ...more like a GP, I feel anyway

Hope that helps (and is only one man's opinion)

Regards
                    Anthony
                    Yamaha 05 FXHO Cruiser - 100.5 hrs

Comment

Anthony thanks for your great insight here... just the kind of info I was looking for. I don't mind spending a few bucks since we got such a great deal on these skis, but I wasn't sure what to expect for my dollar; there is nothing about results/expectations on the IR website and I have two skis which of course is more costly. I'm tired of getting passed by Hondas... when I put the new OEM filters in and the skis were showing 10 mph increase, I thought, "WOW, this is a fast ski, it just needs more airflow," whether the speedo reading is accurate or not, (haven't tested it with my GPS) but since both my comparisons were made using it, it is certainly relative and I was getting a solid 10 mph increase on the same speedo with a new air filter. Now I am thinking I may be ready for faster skis, not sure if the money and trouble is worth only 5 mph increase. I wonder if my dealer would install those mods, I'm in advertising not a mechanic at all.
                      So your only getting 59 on your HO, dang... I thought the HO's would break 60, maybe it's time for a pair of Hondas. I really was hoping to stay with Yamaha and I would not consider a Doo for reliability.
                      Once more, thanks for your excellent reply my friend.

Comment

YoYamma,

I can quote Riva's numbers for you ...

Bog Stock FX 140 - 53.08 mph

FX140 with full RPM kit - 58.44 mph

The Ho's break 63's with the RPM kit (63.66mph) Lets face it though ..not many places you can keep running at wide open throttle !!

Ride a Honda in some chop before you decide on them ..also see what PWI has to say about them ... I'm not saying they are bad mind you ..just different ! I love the dryness of my craft.

I think the Honda is a more sporty type of boat suited to short course type riding in relatively smooth water. Its not designed as a rough water boat. PWI even stated .."As for two-up rough water riding , its possible , but we dont recommend doing it often" (Honda R-12X). It's turbo'd as well, so needs extra care that a forced induction requires ... a genuine warm up to operating temps before full throttle runs or high loads (towing etc)etc.

Depends on your main type of riding I suppose !!!

Anthony

Comment

I have tested the Honda, I agree they are wobbly.
                          The FX140 is a much more stable/dry craft, and I am partial to the brand. But I did find the Honda's speed absolutely thrilling. Looking back over your post, I see you have a new FX160... Can you pass a Honda on that ski?

Comment

In the chop and rougher I'd eat the Honda on the FX. I have not come up against them here in Australia as they are not sold by Honda. We have a few of them as grey imports so they are not thick on the water.

My mate I ride with has a very warm Gp1300R (turns over 70mph) whilst he kills me on smooth water once we hit a bit of chop I catch up fast. We've even noticed lately that he has to stand much earlier than I do as the water gets rougher. Also back at the ramp he's on low fuel beeper I'm on half tank or above ... which I remind him off often .... :emoticonl low fuel mate !!!

We both have around the same hours and both are 05 craft.

On that premise I'd give a ski thats only 2.7 mph faster in smooth water than me ... (Honda R-12X) a good hiding i'd reckon. I mainly tour these days ... 40-50mph region. Even fitted a Garmin 178c plotter/sounder for shallow fast turn rivers ... man thats fun !!

Maybe a look at a HO with a RPM kit ?? Best of both worlds and ski will run ...63.66mph. Still with very good economy and no forced induction... less spray ... 3 seater etc.

I tube tow the kids and ski tow my wife and the FX is a great platform for that with its better stability at rest.

Keeps coming back to what you want to do with it ... Even though I'm a Yammy man I'd like the Kwaka STX15-F as a sporty 4 stroke !! If my body could keep up with my ambitions !!! :D

Anthony

Comment

YO, sorry for the delayed response. You did actually mention the air filters being "oil soaked" which was most likely the cause of your loss of speed in the first place. It is a common problem for the FX's. when the filters were changed to new OEM filters, you said your speed came back, which should be telling you something. Its just a matter of time with those OEM's before the same thing is going to happen. the aftermarkets do not necessarily gain anything over new oem's but do prevent the loss of performance over the oem's. With the velocity stacks, it is not uncommon to see around 150 rpm increase.
                              There are so many variables that determine "speed numbers" than you think which is why we NEVER put speed #on any part. every ski is different, every rider is different, every climate, location, altitude etc. is different. 150 rpm may gain some people 2 mph, 150 rpm may gain some people .1 mph, your ski may gain 20 rpm while someone elses may gain 200. who knows???

Riverdad has pertty much summed up everything in his post without repeating everything
                              www.ISLANDRACINGPERFORMANCE.com

www.ISLANDRACING.net

Comment

Working...
                              X