1999 Yamaha XL 760 Starter Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Yamaha XL 760 Starter Problems

I have a 1999 Yamaha waverunner XL 760. I bought it brand new and I have only had 1 problem with it...I have went through 4 starters. I bought an Aqua Torque starter in July '05 and it died on me in Sept '05. The symptons I am having with this are as follows. For the first couple of weeks everything ran fine. One day in Sept. I went to start it before taking it out...turned over fine at first but I forgot to pull the choke out to help start it. After pulling the choke out I hit the start button again and I got a couple of clicking sounds with no full turnover and then a burning smell coming from the starter. I reached into the hull and felt the positive lead coming off my battery and it was smoking hot!!! Almost too hot to handle. Thinking I may have crossed up the wires when installing the starter, I double checked the connections. Everything was normal. I pulled my starter from the waverunner after figuring the thing was shot and sure enough it was toast. I have had several friends offer advice but would like to know if anyone has had similar issues like this. I have heard everything from a grounding issue to possibly a relay or sticking solenoid. I am tired of buying starters every other year and would very much like to resolve this issue. This is not a rental ski and I have had this issue in fresh & salt water. The crankshaft is not frozen up, it turns over fine. Someone please offer some solution for me.
Working...
X