Repainting the Jet Pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repainting the Jet Pump?

Is it possible to repaint the back jet pump nozzle at the very back of the ski? Mine has a slight bit of paint chipped off. Is it ok to take it off, sand it all down and repaint the jet pump area?

Also, would a Jet Pump from a 96 Xp fit a 96 GSX? Just curious.

Re: Repainting the Jet Pump?

If the nozzle is aluminum then yes, it is easy to repaint. I personally use Tempo 0203050 "Mercury Black" paint. I have found that this paint matches the color/finish of the jet-pump black paint quite well, is readily available, is compatible with the paint on the jet-pump, is easy to apply, dries quickly, and is quite fuel/oil/exhaust and moisture resistant. Here is a link to Overton's website, and the product page

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/ove...&item_num=21384

Yes the jet pump housings will fit. Also the OEM impellers are the same.
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Hey John,
      Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like I am in for a can of this paint!:) I am gonna check my local marina first since they probably have it. If not, Overtons it is.

So let me ask, is it best to just sand the areas necessary or go ahead and sand the entire thing? If so, what grit sand paper do you recommend? Any specifics on how you go about it will be great.

Thanks

Comment

If you ride in salt water you should first primer with marine primer (dangerous stuff! Use in well ventilated aera, If inhaled can cause major problems.) I used this and regular black paint on my GSX looks great.

Comment

Are you using sand paper to clean it up or are you sanding completely down and then fully repainting? By Hand? Machine? Just curious.

Definitely a good idea to get that primer on there. I've painted Outboard Boat engines in the past so I guess this isn't much different.

Comment

Same stuff. I used a wire wheel and just ruffed up the paint

Comment

Working...
            X