Engine Noise? Is this normal or not? Need the Pro's to help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Noise? Is this normal or not? Need the Pro's to help

I have a 1996 GSX Seadoo ski and wanted to ask about the noise the engine makes. To quickly back track, I posted about losing spark and I ended up bring it to the dealer to tell me it was a ground wire and they fixed her up all nice.

So I got it back and it now runs like a champ. My dealer on the other hand was trying to talk me into a complete rebuild because they said the engine is "Noisy".

Now I just bought the ski and I too thought it was a tiny bit louder than the standard 787 but not by much. Yet I am no pro at all so I didn't know. I do however hear a consistent sound from it.

They told me they think it is the Crank and that it probably got a little corroded from sitting without lots of fogging and now the crankshaft/bearings are probably scored and make that noise.

When I say loud, it isn't like a clatter or anything. More of a constant sound. It is just like a constant "rubbing" type sound. It runs beautiful and revs up great so it is more or less just that noise. The dealer told me that when the engines sit they sometimes get a little rust on them and the bearing get scored and then make that noise. It sounds possible but they were definitely pushing me to try to install a new SBT over the winter. I would rather not if I don't have too.

The ski sat for about 2 years with only about 3 hours of usage and the owner didn't spray and fogging oil or anything into the engine when it sat. It was stored in a heated garage though.

So my question is, do you think it is the crank? The dealer beefed it up and told me I should just replace the entire thing and they would do a full install with an SBT engine for around $1500. I figure if I have to do a new engine I may even attempt it myself to save the cost of labor.

Is there any way to diagnose if the crank is in fact bad an easy way? I am sure there isn't since I would probably have to rip the entire top end off but I figured I would ask. Or is there any way to possibly get some fresh oil down there to see if it helps at all?

Can there be any other type of pump, or something on the drive shaft that may need oiling that may be making the noise??

The ski runs like an absolute champ. Starts right up without hesitation and revs all over the place. It is just that bit of noise.

Any insight on this will be great. Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to get all the details.
    Thanks

Re: Engine Noise? Is this normal or not? Need the Pro's to help

check the compression, that will tell you if it is scored up, and honestly, they want your money, if your engeins runs well on teh water. i think u have nothign to worry about.

Comment

Compression reads 150psi and 149psi so I think this engine is solid.

When I first got it, it was a little hesitant from sitting. I changed the plugs and the gas and she ran like a champ till that ground went.

Now that the ground is fixed it starts right up and revs strong.

For comparison I have a 96 XP and the engines are exact. The difference in sound is that the XP is very throaty and you can distinguish the 2 cylinder sound. Where mine sounds the same, and revs up the same, but has this added noise. It is a constant sound.

Possibly something rubbing like the drive shaft or something?

When I test drove it she ran up 6900 to 7000 RPM's no sweat and felt fast.

Any other tips or comments?

Comment

compressions are not up to standard, but then u got 7k on the rpm... moreover a 2 stroker was bound to be on the noisy side... so i guess, you're good to go. why would you wanna rebuild when it's still fast and fun to ride... when you need one, you'll know...

Comment

Like Hanson_7 says....ride it.....Your dealer may be right, if the ski sat for 2+ years, the bearings may have rusted a bit. What I don't understand is this;
          do you think it is the crank? The dealer beefed it up and told me I should just replace the entire thing
          ...How can the crank be "beefed up"??? I think they are speaking from both sides of their mouth.
          John Kubiak
          Powersports Technical Training Professional
          Las Vegas, Nevada
          Sea-Doo Tech 13736
          PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
          PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
          NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
          Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Hey John, when I said "Beefed it up", I meant that they were talking like I needed an engine and there was no other choice. Sounded more like they were ready to give me a deal to do it over the winter in their slower months.

I guess you guys are right, ride unless it dies.

Anyone else?

Comment

There is no way to know what's going on without tearing it down for proper inspection. So either ride it or tear it down.
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I tend to believe the dealer is attempting to SAVE you a few dollars.

I get several customers each year in here for various mechanical repairs that I tell THE EXACT SAME THING .
                An experenced mechanic can easily tell if the engine is on it's last legs by listening to it. The noise you are describing is EXACTLY how they sound when the crankshaft bearings get RUSTY from sitting around without proper storage maintence.

You even can hear the difference between your own two engines.

A few things are for certain. IT WILL NOT FIX ITSELF. IT WILL BREAK, and when it does it will do alot of extra damage to the rotary valve surface, rotary vlave drive gear and shaft and rotary valve itself. It may take out the rotary valve cover and punch a hole in the crankcases, and/or break the counterbalancer. It will ruin the head too.

So, as with most of my customers who get warned, you have been warned in advance by what I consider a great mechanic who is looking out for your best interests. If you listen to him now, you could save hundreds of dollars down the road in unnecessary repairs and replacements of parts that are perfectly good right now.

Any mechanic worth his salt can hear crankshaft bearings that are rusty and ready to come apart. I would tend to trust him if I were you.

The winter is a great time to replace that motor with an SBT remanufactored engine. If you wait till spring or summer, you will be on a waiting list to recieve an engine, and that may cost you a few weeks of not being able to ride your ski. Now (or soon) is the time to get it done.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM
                <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

but like he said. what if he replaces the engine, and it still sounds the same? perhaps they shoudl check other parts of teh ski like teh driveshaft rubbing against something then going all out with teh repair. thats something I would consider before blowing a 2500 hole in my pocket.

Comment

Bill has spoken!!

Well, I guess you said what I was hoping I wasn't gonna hear again but the facts are the facts. So I guess I am gonna go back and try to see if there is in fact anything rubbing. If not, I will consider an engine, or selling the ski.

The reason why I don't want to jump right in is because the dealer harped over the phone that the ski had all sorts of stuff and then when I got there it was running great and I don't even think the service guy really looked at it till I got there. They also said the tube was rotten from the inside out because of this tiny chip in the paint. I actually went ahead and inspected and the thing is perfectly fine.

So with that, I guess I will possibly have someone else give me their input who knows ski's locally, replace the engine, or sell it and look for a newer ski.

Is there any way to test out and get an idea if it is in fact the crank? Someone mentioned pulling out the spark plugs and listening for rattle,etc.
                    Any way to tell other than ripping the entire thing apart?

Comment

where are you located? like tech said, the only real way to see if is is your crank beearings is to tear it apart.

Comment

Radio,
                        Yes, of course there is a chance that the pump bearings are shot, BUT, I will bet they are not.

On the otherhand, if he considers keeping riding it, he is betting several hundred dollars that you are right.

I see this exact same thing time and time again.

And BTW, they quoted him $1500.00 to replace the motor, which is also very reasonable, and another reason that I do not think they are ripping him off.
                        Bill O'Neal <br>
                        WCM
                        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

is that 1500 dollars with the engine or without?

i never said that it isn't the engine, i just suggested that checking other areas of the ski first to rule out those problems.

Comment

The $1500 quote is for a new engine and all the labor, etc.

I actually thought it was a reasonable quote unless I gain the courage to attempt it myself all winter long.

I guess I will just have to keep looking through it and see if there is anything else obvious. If not, then I will have to consider rebuilding or selling.

I guess that's how it goes

Comment

where are you located? and for that quote, thats very reasonable. some shops charge 1500 just for labor.

Comment

Working...
                              X