Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Empty the jet oil and waterbox - winterization?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empty the jet oil and waterbox - winterization?

Hi! Just need to ask a couple of questions; the title says it all. I have winterized my Seadoo SPX; flushed the engine with stabilizer in the fuel, then ran it while putting antifreeze in place of the garden hose and slowly spraying fogging oil in the exposed carbs. When there was alomost no antifreeze left in the container I stalled the engine with two good shots of fogging oil.

On to the questions;

1. Is it safe to only remove the jet oil resevoir's plug and leave it full of oil, letting any expansion occure because the plug is removed?

I am aware I need to change the oil before next season.

2. Do I need to somehow empty the waterbox?

Thanks for the help!

Andrew

Re: Empty the jet oil and waterbox - winterization?

Just how cold will this ski get?

Remove the water regulator from the top of the waterbox and pour some antifreeze into the water box. It will mix with the liquid in there.

Although I have never heard of the need to remove the pump cone fill plug, if it makes sense, why not?
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have heard that you need to change the jet pump oil every season on bombardier machines - which sounds right. I think there was also a mention of the possibility of water being present so you need to empty it for winter?? I'm not sure... Don't know why water would be getting into the pump oil though...

Comment

Water enters the jet pump oil when the seal is bad or the last guy who changed the oil did not perform the leak test and pinched the oring or make some other mistake when he changed the oil, which needs changing each season or every 100 hours.

Why don't you just remove the cone and leave it off until next season? Then you can refill it with the preseason prep job.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM

Comment

I could have, and probably will just remove the cone. I was going to leave it on with just the cap off and get rid of the old oil next year. By the way can I replace the jet oil myself without the use of any special tools? Granted I am careful with the cone O-ring, of course.

It will get very cold, say -30 celcius at times.

Comment

Always check the pump cone to see if it will hold pressure when changing the pump oil. No matter how careful you are, you cannot forsee an impellor shaft seal leak.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

Listen to Bill's wise words. A cone leak cost me a jet pump that is fortunately behind me now. YOU DON'T WANT THE CONE TO LEAK, PERIOD!
              DPSkiman

Comment

OK! Sounds good to me guys. Thanks for the help. I will get the pump refilled and tested by the local seadoo dealer.

Comment

What type of pump would be used to test the pressure? How much do they cost?

Comment

The best place to buy a pop-off tester is: www.watercraftmagic.com or call Bill directly at 1-626-914-9509. $54.95 plus shipping, Genuine Mikuni.
                    Last edited by John Kubiak; 11-27-2005, 05:56 PM. Reason: Inflation
                    John Kubiak
                    Powersports Technical Training Professional
                    Las Vegas, Nevada
                    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                    X