Winter Wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Wrap

I live in Louisiana and have never "wrapped" my skis for the winter and have never seen a reason to do so - due to our climate. There are some local boat shops that are advertising a wrap as part of their winterizing service so am curious if there is an advantage.

What are the advantages (based on my climate) of wrapping the skis?
    Is there any particular type of wrap to use?
    Where can I buy the wrap? I saw some stuff at a local shipping store (used for wrapping large boxes for shipment).
    What ML (thickness) is the wrap?

I keep my covers on year round (one is starting to fade and rot) as this allows them to breath. If you wrap the ski, do you recommend keeping a few areas open so the ski can breath?

thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions/pointers that you folks may give.

Re: Winter Wrap

Originally posted by BobL
    I live in Louisiana and have never "wrapped" my skis for the winter and have never seen a reason to do so - due to our climate. There are some local boat shops that are advertising a wrap as part of their winterizing service so am curious if there is an advantage.

Shring wrapping is an excellent way to keep your ski out of the elements. It also will keep UV light off of the ski and the cushions, making them age slower.

What are the advantages (based on my climate) of wrapping the skis?
    Is there any particular type of wrap to use?

I would recommend Blue wrap. Blue stops more light than white does. It will sometimes melt when the outside temp rises above 70, so it is mostly for cold weather climates.
    Where can I buy the wrap? I saw some stuff at a local shipping store (used for wrapping large boxes for shipment). The stuff you want is different since you want colored, either white or blue. Packing is made for neatness and there are different types for outdoor exposure and UV protection.
    What ML (thickness) is the wrap? Thickness should be 3 millimeter.

I keep my covers on year round (one is starting to fade and rot) as this allows them to breath. If you wrap the ski, do you recommend keeping a few areas open so the ski can breath? Usuallly you would put some type of humidity control bag in the ski. I use damp rid, but this will not work if you move the ski around at all. It would leak and it highly corrosive. The bags contain di-silicant gel balls that absorb moisture. They are similar to the ones when you buy new shoes. Wrapping on a dry and warm day should be a help since there would be no air flow in the ski after wrapped.

thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions/pointers that you folks may give.
    Hope this helps.
    Leon Phelps and Ashy Larry, a team made in heaven.

Comment

Shrink wrapping is pretty popular up here for mostly boats and pontoons that people have stored outside. We don't wrap many pwc's due to their ease of inside storage. If you do wrap them use a no damp product and also you need to have vents cut in the plastic and 'vee' them with the blue tape to defer rain, snow, etc.

Comment

I appreciate the help, thanks.....

Comment

Working...
        X