Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winterizing! Is this the Procedure? Techs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing! Is this the Procedure? Techs???

Hey Everyone,
    I am about to winterize my Seadoo and I have read just about every Winterization post around the forum, including searched ones. I simply wanted to recap on the process since it seems like everyone seems to leave stuff out...or say different things.

So here goes my list of things that I think need to be done. Please add your comments, correct my details, or whatever to be sure we are all winterizing these darn Seadoo's the way they are supposed to where the temperature drops way to low to even consider riding with a dry suit!:)

I have a 1996 GSX so I have been looking in specific to the older Seadoo's.
    Here goes.

1.) Check Compression and Log each Cylinder for record to see if anything changes with time
    2.) Add fuel stabilizer to gas (Shake up good) and run for a bit to be certain it gets totally into the engine lines and carbs,etc.
    3.) Run Engine with fresh water hose hooked up for a few minutes to get all salt out of the system.
    4.) Remove Air Filter and flame arrestor to get to each carb
    5.) Spray Fogging Oil into each carb for 15 to 30 seconds each while running. Should smoke like hell! Keep it at a fast idle enough to not stall out.
    **what happens if it stalls at this point? Should it, Should it not?

6.) Hook up a pump, or contraption to get some antifreeze into the cooling system if you hope too. This seems to be optional

7.) Pour some anti-freeze into exhaust if it didn’t spit out naturally from flush if you want too, but it should go in automatically I think.
    8.) Add a teaspoon of oil and pour down each spark plug hole and bump over a few times
    9.) Take tube off of the head and fill up with Anti-Freeze to be certain it gets into the head
    10.) Spray Jet Pump with Oil to be sure it is lubed good, or change the oil completely.
    11.) Spray rust inhibitor on wiring and starter??
    12.) Grease all cables along with pto, pump, drive shaft holder
    13.) Spray down complete engine with oil for protection
    14.) Remove Battery and put on Tender/trickle type charge to maintain
    15.) Put Cardboard on back nossle and under intake grate and tape up to prevent animals from creeping inside.

Some Questions:

1.) What type of Anti-Freeze should be used? It seems like a debate between the Green, and Pink Environmental safe stuff. So which is it? A specific to buy would be nice:)
    2.) Does a tube or tubes need to be pinched in the process? Or Disconnected? if so, which ones?

Any specifics would be great if this list is wrong somewhere. I've NEVER done this before so keep in mind that I am hoping to learn the right way. These are the details I have collected from searching the forum for all the details posted on Winterizing more or less.

Appreciate the positive comments to make this a strong post.:emoticont

Re: Winterizing! Is this the Procedure? Techs???

Anyone??:emoticonw

Comment

I think you'll find, as you mentioned - this has been covered to death already. If you have SPECIFIC questions ask them - otherwise, you already read your answers.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

A couple of quick comments here.

1) Item #4 - You do not need to remove all that junk to spray the carbs with fogging oil. There is a little rubber nipple on the top of your airbox, remove that and spray in there.

2) Yes, you spray until she chokes.

3) Change your pump oil. You don't want to take the chance of water sitting in there all winter long and rusting things up.

4) Don't forget to crack the seat a little to allow proper air circulation.

Other than that, pretty nice list. I don't winterize.. I ride all year (yes, in WA!). The ski's I dont' ride in the winter get the engines pulled, pumps pulled and gas drained... VIOLA! Instant winterize.
        Dan Solie -
        04 RXP (the "Instigator")
        94 xp (freestyle mods)
        95 xp (faster than the 94)
        JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Hey Dan,
          I appreciate the details.

I wanted to recap and ask about the fogging.
          So if the engine chokes out, it should start up again quickly right?? I am asking since there are obviously 2 carbs to spray, and also there will be water running to keep it from overheating so it seems tricky to do. Any specifics on that would be great.

Also, about changing the pump oil, is that a hard process? About how long would it take a first timer to do? I don't have a pop off tester so I was hoping to maybe wait till spring. Although I see the reasoning for doing it now.
          Any tips on that would be great also.

Also, what Anti-Freeze can I use? A brand or specific someone prefers?

Thanks again

Comment

I WINTERIZED MY SKI TODAY!

The process was definitely a smooth one.
            Happy to save $180 that my local shop charges minus the oil, antifreeze, fogging oil, and gaskets :)

Comment

Did anybody ever tell you the best anti-freeze to use? I, too, am going to try and winterize my Sea Doo for the first time. I just want to know the tools that I will need for the first time. Do I need some kind of siphon to change the pump oil? Also, how cold and for how long before the boat becomes damaged? We have had frost a couple of times but now it is in the 50s.

Thanks for you advice.

Wishing for:emotisun .

Comment

Hey mellenpoodle,

It was my very first time winterizing and it went smooth.

As for the antifreeze, I went to Boat US and picked up the stuff that was on sale. It was pinkish color, and was environmental friendly, and good to -50. I forget the name but it was something like glycon eth......or I can be wrong. Either way, it was for engines and water systems and figure it is just fine. I wanted an environmentally safe one since I have animals and they could drink it off the ground when it rained.

As for tools, there weren't many needed other than your typical socket set, a screw driver,an allen wrench set, and a soft mallet. Also, you will need some gaskets, and possibly the liquid gasket stuff and or loctite. I am thinking if there was anything else....

The pump oil was actually very easy to change. There are the 2 control arm type things you remove which are the cable/shafts that control steering and tilt. Those came off. I then used the socket set to remove the 4 bolts. Then from there the oil pump cone had bolts to also use the socket on. From there I used a clothed mallet to tap it lightly and the oil came out. Put the new gaskets and refilled her up. Since as cake.

All in all my experience was definitely a happy one and all went well....I guess we'll see if she starts next summer for the true test.

If it is frosting at your house I would say do it ASAP! I would imagine the light frosts may be ok but in reality if water can freeze, it can do damage. So the sooner the better. It truly wasn't too bad of a procedure but before doing it I was definitely confused but it all went well in the end. Get all the stuff together and do it up!!!

Good luck:emoticont

Comment

96GSX,

Glad to hear you got it done. See? Not that hard now was it. I figured you got it since you didn't call lol. :emoticont
                  Dan Solie -
                  04 RXP (the "Instigator")
                  94 xp (freestyle mods)
                  95 xp (faster than the 94)
                  JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Hey Dan!!!
                    Sorry I didn't call, I totally meant too atleast message you.

Yeah, it all went smooth as cake. I ended up changing the pump oil and leaving it in for the winter and everything went great. Thanks for the advice!!!!!!!:emoticont Dan is the man!!!!!

Comment

Sounds like Dsolie set you up right.. I dont like using antifreeze myself, but other than that you are in good hands. And no antifreeze is really envio-safe.

Comment

Thank you for all of the advice. Do you know a site where I can get a diagram of the parts of a Sea Doo LRV? I just want to make sure that I know exactly what everything is located.

Comment

Not sure about a place that would list the actual engine other than your actual dealer manual and such. I would probably search for that if you don't have it, or even look on ebay since tons of people even sell it on cd.

online microfiche really breaks it down piece by piece literally which is probably what you aren't looking for, but may be of help eventually.

Here is a link:
                          http://216.37.204.206/wps/Seadoo_OEM/Seadoo_PWC.asp
                          or start here http://www.hlsm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
                            I think you'll find, as you mentioned - this has been covered to death already. If you have SPECIFIC questions ask them - otherwise, you already read your answers.

BETTER NOT ASK TOO MANY ?'s .......................:emoticonl

Comment

Hey guys,

How about fogging an XPDI? where the heck do you spray the fogging oil on it? I can't get my sea doo dealer to help me they can't even find a service manual for it.
                              I also have never changed the pump oil (only have 20 hours on each of them) is it the same procedure as all the rest?
                              I have also been told I have to block off a hose when putting the antifreeze in it but which one there are so many, nobody in my area can seem to help me. Thanks you guys this is a great forum.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X