clanking noise!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clanking noise!!!!!

Ok guys im new to the whole pwc thing. i just recieved a 95 slt 750. The engine had been freshly rebuilt this past spring. But i have not used it since i recieved it. My problem is that when i got to turn the motor over theres a claning sound comming from the jet drive. teh previouls owner told me that it was because of salt build up in the housing. But iv also been told that the bearings need to be preplaced an if not ill end up blowing my enigne. AN i have no idea were i can get a bearing rebuuild kit. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Re: clanking noise!!!!!

My best opinion would be to purchase a Clymer manual and go to www.partsland.com for the illustrated parts breakdown. I don't believe there is a kit available. Purchase seperate parts.They are a reliable company and shipping is fast.

The Clymer manual has pics. Be sure to buy the special tool from them if your model requires it.

And use Ultra Blue Permatex RTV sealer to seal the pump to the ski.(avail at Wal Mart)

You will also need new seals between the pump and the ski and new rubber bumpers for the drive shaft and also 2 new seals (P/N 3610040) for the center bearing support($12.00). or purchase the entire unit($95.00).
    Hope this helps.

Cheers !!

Comment

Thanks for the info!!! I already have the polaris service manual i just wasnt sure wich parts were needed. but the parts you sugested there still available at a polaris dealer rite? If not do you know of any links you could send me i would greatly appreciate it:emoticont

Comment

It might be normal these thing's sound like a box of rocks out of the water with no load. But you should check the bearings in the pump housing. Remove Item # 26 to remove the pump from the hull.Then check for bearing drag or tightness.
        http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N...750-PROPULSION

Comment

yea thats what im gonna do, cuz this thing sound like its all loose inside when i turn it over. I rather take it apart no an found out i need bearings, then risk it an blow a motor with a half hour of run time on it

Comment

Is the clanking noise while running on a trailer or in the water?
            WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

on the trailer. You gotta hear it, its loud an it sounds liek the impeller is jumpin around inside. It literally sounds like its gonna fall apart.

Comment

every polaris i have seen makes that noise when its on the trailer. the impeller is bouncing around inside the housing and that *ping* you hear is the blades hitting the housing cuz there no water to act as a cushion.

Comment

They are noisy, but its worth it to take a closer look, I've seen them come off the shaft before.

I do have a totally complete pump unit off a running 95 SLT for sale if it matters. I think I posted it in the classifieds here recently.

Comment

i think im gonna pull the jet pump off any way an check the bearings just to be safe. I really dont wanna risk blowing an engine with a half hour on it. But yes my drive is making that ping noise when i start it on the trailer. I tried spraying WD40 into the pump an starting it an its still clanking. Maybe ill try to inject the pump with water.

Comment

The noise is NOT caused fron the impeller blades hitting the housing as the previous post suggested. The noise is created fron the driveshaft splines inside the impeller having no load and (clanking) around with every revolution of the engine as the piston rod rotates the crankshaft. The noise is not made with a constant load on the driveshaft splines when in the water.
                      WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

so i shouldnt bother takin the drive apart an checkin out the bearings? Cuz when i pulled the plugs an tried to turn it by hand i could only turn it a 1/4 way then the rest i had to use an open end wrench, an i could hear metal to metal contac an i rotated the shaft.

Comment

On a 10 year old ski you should pull the pump and replace the bearings and seals as part of normal service to the ski every 4-5 years. If they go out you are talking hundreds to replace everything that gets damaged.
                          Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

I had a customer come in with a suspected failed jet pump on his Seadoo GTX 4tec S/C. I put the impeller housing on our stand and removed the cone and then used an electric drill to turn it over no noise other than from the drill. The bearings still had grease in them. We replaced the pump and it still had a “tinny ringing sound”. I have heard that this is because they are not submerged in water to act as a cushion. We checked the impeller clearances and it was within spec.

Comment

usually just a tiny high spot on an impeller blade tapping the wear ring makes a ringing sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X