Very hot pipe + hesitation, 951 plumbing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very hot pipe + hesitation, 951 plumbing question

I have took my GSXL out today after a topend rebuild. I found two problems on its first ride.

First, there is a major hesitation from about 1/4 throttle if the throttle position is changed quickly. When I eased into it, the aceleration was nearly seemless. When I say hesitation I mean the engine goes nearly silent for 0.5-1 second then takes off strong. I rebuilt the carbs while it was down but I don't have a pop-off tester. This was not a problem before the work was done.

Second, apparently there is no water getting to the stinger section of the pipe. There are four hoses connected to the pipe. One from the flush line that is going to the bottom of the expansion chamber. One very close to the exhaust manifold that goes directly to the rear of the hull and exits. These next two may be backward. There is one that does from the top of the expansion chamber, just before that evil pipe ring, and goes to the water box RAVE. Finaly there is another one on the expansion chamber and is closest to the front cylinder that is connected to the other outlet on the back of the hull. I am getting no water out of this line.

Are these last two lines backward? Will these two line being backward make the hesitation happen like it is?

One other thing I was wondering about. when I disassembled the engine, the base gasket had some holes in it in the water jacket at the low side of the PTO cylinder. I don't remember the new gasket having these holes. Was I supposed to make holes to allow water to flow?

Thanks for reading.

PS. I did verify that there is water coming into the engine and the cylinders/head is/are cool to the touch while the stinger will burn a brutha.

Re: Very hot pipe + hesitation, 951 plumbing question

Turn your low speed adjusters on the carbs ( the ones closests to the top of the motor ) out 1/8th or so turns to get rid of the accelleration problem, but only do this after you reverse the two small black water lines on the expansion chamber, and have ridden the boat again.

You have those water lines on the wrong fittings. The one that is highest and most forward on the chamber is the bleed line to get the air out of the waterjackets. It goes out of the boat. The fitting closest to the motor on the chamber is the water line from the water regulator on the muffler.
    If reversed, you are not getting the flow of water to the chamber from the water regulator when you accellerate and that may be why you are getting the hestiation. Check the water lines to see if you melted them. Replace the lines if necessary.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Ok, the throttle transitions are pretty smooth now. I don't know whether it was the accelerator pump or the richening of the low speed screw that did it but its good so I will not question it. At small, very small, barely off idle, throttle openings it sound like it is running on one cylinder still, this was a problem before the topend and carb rebuild. I am considering changing the length of the linkage between the carbs(in the spring) to see if it get better or worse. Is this a worthwhile venture or is it simply the nature of the 951 beast?

Comment

Why would you want to do that?
        Are the throttle plates not syncronized?

Have you tried just snipping the sparkplug wires for a new connection at the sparkplug boots?

I though your pipe was real hot. Did you check out your water hoses and the water regulator to see if all is working correctly?
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM

Comment

I reversed or corrected the water lines near the band clamp and the pipe is now warm but will not burn. The heat is barely uncomfortable if that explains anything.

Comment

Then you have corrected the water lines.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

good ol search button
              I just had the same water routing problemBill
              be good,
              if you cant be good,
              be carefull
              if you can't be carefull,
              buy a pram