Re-torque head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-torque head?

I know removing the head voids the warranty.
    Just ordered a 951 motor and was wondering if it is ok to re-torque the head after break-in.

Re: Re-torque head?

Absolutely, that's normal practice.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

that was never explained anywhere. why haven't it been on the manuals?

Comment

Can i just ask about this one quickly...You guys say to re-torque the head bolts. My question is how do you accurately re-torque with head bolts that have blue loctite on them? Won't the blue loctite on the thread take quite a bit of torque to even break? Or have i got it wrong in assuming that you use blue loctite on the threads of the head bolts? Thanks.

Comment

Yes we use loctite. If you go to torque the bolt and it's already at torque - you're done. There is no need to break the bolt free and torque it again.

Radio - your owner's and service manuals show maint. procedures.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
            Yes we use loctite. If you go to torque the bolt and it's already at torque - you're done. There is no need to break the bolt free and torque it again.

Radio - your owner's and service manuals show maint. procedures.
            Really?? I was under the impression that unless you loosened the bolts and then retorqued them that it was a waste of time.

Is it common practice to use loc-tite on the bolts/nuts for the head?

Comment

Some of you guys make too big of a deal about retorquing head bolts and the sealers, chemicals and greases used on the bolts.

Here is what works. Either grease or blue loc-tite on the threads, your choice. I perfer grease on mine. I also put blue loc-tite under the head of the bolts on the 587-657-718-787 engines. This is because blue loc-tite is also a sealer. It prevents water from leaking up the bolt and out of the head.

You should only need to check the torque of the head bolts after running the motor to full tempature then allowing it to completely cool until it is COLD. Set the torque wrench to the proper setting and gently pull the handle until it either moves the bolt and/or clicks the torque wrench. DO NOT GO ONE BIT FURTHER.

I see no reason to loosen a bolt then retorque it.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks Bill that helps-can i ask why you prefer to use grease on the threads of your head bolts. I know grease would mean that you'd have to re-torque more...how often does it have to be done with grease on the bolt threads?

Thanks.

Comment

Grease allows you to get a more accurate torque. It also gives it a very tight grip. You do not have to retorque more often unless you want to, after your 10th hour, you are to retorque the head. You are suppose to loosen every nut and bolt and retorque down, only if you want a dead on accurate torque spec. But I am with Bill on this one, just retorque them.
                  SHOOTER

Comment

Grease works great especially on bolt threads that are subjected to water, as in the clyinders where water is present. Just because you use grease does not mean you need to retorque often. Once torqued and then retorqued after a cool down period, you should never need to retorque again. Grease keeps water from forming corrosion around the threads in the clyinders. It makes future disassembly very easy with minimum cleanup of the threads of the bolt and the clyinders. Grease prevents galling of the stainless steel bolts. Grease makes torquing more accurate.

Another product that works real well on nuts and bolts is anti-sieze.
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM
                    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
                    X