Depth Finder Optimum Location for 96XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depth Finder Optimum Location for 96XP

I know. First question is why a depth finder? I don't need it and its not intended for reliable/required use. Its purely for entertainment as I putz around the lakes/rivers I usually ride on. Aside from that, its winter and it gives me something to install.

Having said that, has anyone installed one and if so, can you recommend an optimum location on a 96XP? My preference is to mount it "thru-hull" in lieu of transom mounting.

The model depth finder is from Norcross Marine products and its a Hawkeye DF1120S. http://www.norcrossmarine.com/DF1120S.htm

Tom

Re: Depth Finder Optimum Location for 96XP

I have never installed a depth finder. With that said, I would be concerned about mounting it in a hull with a "false bottom". A 1996 XP has a dead space filled with foam between the bedpan and the actual outer hull.

If I were mounting it inboard, I would look for a spot where it is the thinnest. This may be such a place as under the gas tank, not anywhere under the motor where it is the thickest.
    I may even want to cut away and then seal opening in the bedpan to get the transducer mounted to the hull.

I think I would probably install extened trim tabs and mount the transducer to the top of the trim tab and run the wires through the transom ?
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I too am concerned about the thru-hull mounting for exactly that reason...this isn't a high-end meter and any dead space or material not condusive to transmitting sound will inhibit performance if not squash it altogether. Thanks for advising about the 96XP. Was originally thinking to put it right next to one of the bailers but I believe the ride plate is also an obstacle to consider in addtion to the details you mention.

It comes with a transom mounting unit and seems simple enough to put on mechanically speaking. Getting the angle right is another thing per the OEM recommendations. Second to that, turbulence and air will also result in off readings but like I said, I don't intend to use it for scientific research nor will I be looking at it going 50+ mph. Perhaps transom mounting is the best way via trim tabs or their own supplied transom mount.

Tom

Comment

It would definately be best to transom mount it, especially if they gave you a mount to use to install it. Nothing but water between the transducer and the lake bottom is probably the best possible senerio.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I mounted one on my HX. I found the best spot was in the rear corner. I cut out a small chunk of foam and appox it to the hull. It worked great for a little while but I don't think depth finders are designed for skis (Being submerged over and over again) Mine crapped out on me after 2 yrs, first no sound then display went. I'm sure the salt water didn't help. The water would seep in the back of the unit where the speaker is. If you don't mind not having sound or alarms you can appox or seal the the speaker grill. West marine was great about it and sent me a new one no charge.

Comment

So you mounted it thru-hull then? On the XP the water box occupies all of the rear left corner and the exhaust & Battery occupy the rear right hand corner.

Did you also have the same depth finder model?

Thanks for any input.

Tom

Comment

I had a differ model. I had the round one, it fit in one of my gauge holes. In the rear of the HX there is alot of room. You could remove the water box or exhaust and remove some foam. Sorry I'm not familar with the insides of a XP. I think your best bet would be to wait until next season when you can have the ski in the water and just hook everything up and test differ spots.

Comment

dont do it, installing one will just give u a headache. if u want to save urs elf some money and headache, dont do it. this si soemthign i woudl never think of doing. first off, it's very pointless.

Comment

First opinion is appreciated about the potential headache.

People do all sorts of things that others deem pointless.

Comment

You should be able to mount it anywhere you like. After you drill the hole just use some 5200 (3M sealant) in the hole. You Could even epoxy the sender to the bottom of the ski if you wanted. Just won't be very easy to change if you ever wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by Tman240
                      First opinion is appreciated about the potential headache.

People do all sorts of things that others deem pointless.
                      yea, it's jsut my oppinion on it.

Comment

I have a feeling a stick would be soooo much easier.. lol

Comment

now thats somethign u dont hear everyday. haha. i like that one.

Comment

I use a stick for depth on my old ski and have a depth finder on my newer ski. Like the depth finder so much I'll put one on my old ski this season. The low tech way does work though - got me by for 12 years

Comment

Working...
                            X