Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overheating issue revisisted.. input from TS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overheating issue revisisted.. input from TS?

PWCBOY - As I've said before...those temps are NORMAL. You are NOT supposed to be able to hold your hand on the pipe or cylinders. The cooling water is SUPPOSED to be very hot to the touch. This is an engine people...it gets hot.

If the engine was overheating you would smell it, the paint would be discoloring, you may see smoke, it would sieze, etc.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
      PWCBOY - As I've said before...those temps are NORMAL. You are NOT supposed to be able to hold your hand on the pipe or cylinders. The cooling water is SUPPOSED to be very hot to the touch. This is an engine people...it gets hot.

If the engine was overheating you would smell it, the paint would be discoloring, you may see smoke, it would sieze, etc.
      So you're stating it's not hot until the paint discolors and the engine seizes?

That's what the rest of the public calls TOO LATE, thanks for SBT's clarification on the matter.

Comment

You're correct, it is often too late - as is the overheat sensor. It should REALLY be called, a 'you just overheated' sensor.

Comment

Then I'm curious as to why you state Javier's engine is not running hot when the sensor is blaring at him during WOT runs.

Comment

Well, read above as to what I said WOULD happen if it was overheating...and notice none of it actually was.

Comment

So let's recap.

You say it's too late when the temp sensor activates, yet you tell Javier his engine is not overheating when his sensor is saying it is.

You say a Polaris PWC engine is not hot until the paint is peeling and the engine seizes?

You say you can't place your hand on the pipe or cylinders (while running) for a few seconds?

You say his temp of 180-190 (using temp strips) is normal for this time of the year. December 05

I just want to make sure this is documented correctly and that I have not misunderstood anything you have put in writing. Is there ANYTHING you'd like to reiterate at this time?

Comment

Originally posted by PWCBOY
                Is there ANYTHING you'd like to reiterate at this time?
                1.) The engine has a NO-FAULT warranty. SBT stands behind their products 100%.

2.) Temperature sensors do, in fact, fail.

3.) 180°-190°-200° temperatures are normal year round.

4.) Javier is working on the issue, and keeping Tech Support involved.

5.) You're paranoid.....refer to item number 1 above.
                John Kubiak
                Powersports Technical Training Professional
                Las Vegas, Nevada
                Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by PWCBOY
                  So let's recap.

You say it's too late when the temp sensor activates, yet you tell Javier his engine is not overheating when his sensor is saying it is.

You say a Polaris PWC engine is not hot until the paint is peeling and the engine seizes?

You say you can't place your hand on the pipe or cylinders (while running) for a few seconds?

You say his temp of 180-190 (using temp strips) is normal for this time of the year. December 05

I just want to make sure this is documented correctly and that I have not misunderstood anything you have put in writing. Is there ANYTHING you'd like to reiterate at this time?
                  Did I miss something Pho2craft (Moderator of pwctoday.com)? What is your interest in his ski in the first place?

1. Yes, most skis overheat sensors are a 'too-late' sensor. Some will trip slightly earlier and limit RPM in an attempt to save it, however at that point it is STILL technically overheated. The sensors are there to detect a blocked cooling system, i.e. no water flow.

2. Any ski, when truely overheated, yes, will discolor the paint and smoke, at the least. Melted exhaust components is also not uncommon.

3. On a fully warmed up PWC engine while running, holding your hand on most parts of the engine or pipe will result in a burn. The parts nearest the exhaust manifold should sizle water dropped on them after a few seconds, to give you a clear understanding of NORMAL.

4. Time of year has almost no bearing on proper operating temps. Water temp is controlled by the water flow, not ambient water temp. YES as I said, those temps are NORMAL.

5. Document all you like.

Comment

OK so obviously this is the interest: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=60956

- however I still don't know why you are here trying to stir up the doo-doo.

Comment

I'd really rather this not turn into an argument.

I just want to sort out the problem... honest, I do. I've had a real hard time w/ this ski.... I read up about others who have problems and sort them out, but mine always seems to have some issue, I really bought a mystery box when I purchased this thing with no experience with them. ph20craft has been nothing short of the greatest help I've had w/ this ski.. he's been helping me along with it for a year now, he's likely as frustrated w/ it as I am... really.. The Polaris community isn't exactly huge either, so it's tough to figure these things out sometimes as only a few know about them.

John, the temp sensor has been replaced. I'm not sure what else would set off two temperature sensors (one is brand spankin' new) when all hose cooling passages have been checked, and flow seems to be OK. Remember, the only factor at all the changed b/w overheating and not overheating was the motor swap.

Back to the troubleshooting topic at hand, how about another angle..

I made no changes to the carbs whatsoever and my previous engine was also on premix, but did not overheat, but let's play w/ the theory anyways.

When premixing 40:1, is it necessary to jet the carbs up a bit.. is a lean mixture possible? Or are Polaris' skis jetted fat enough from the factory to make up for it. Or is this even an issue at all...

Comment

No skis need to be rejetted or for the most part, even the needles touched, for a 40:1 pre-mix.

Reading your other thread, you obviously have some electrical issues. Getting no spark at 0.025" gap but some at 0.020" gap is a good clue to a possible CDI problem, which is also coupled to the overheat circuit.

I already gave you permission to pop the heads a few days ago - did you do that yet?

Comment

No chance yet, probably will next week. My plan was to leave this thread alone for a few days while I got a chance to do that :)

As far as the plug gap issue is concerned, I'm going to check the coils real quick and plug wires to make sure they're within ohm spec. If those are faulty those could lead to my weak spark as well. Maybe the plug wires are brittle and giving weak spark? Who knows... You're right though, I do have electrical issues and I am chasing a two-fold problem. Thanks for clearing up the jetting part, wasn't looking forward to touching the carbs.

Big race with the Z28 this weekend, it's taking up the garage time right now.. :D I'll be up in your side of the coast over there at Bradenton on Saturday at BMP.

Do you know if I can purchase the head cover and head o-rings from you guys w/o purchasing a whole kit? That'd be convenient...

Comment

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2...tegory_Code=53

Comment

doh, should have looked first...

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
                                OK so obviously this is the interest: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=60956

- however I still don't know why you are here trying to stir up the doo-doo.
                                Why do you say I'm stirring up anything?

I don't agree with your definition of a HOT engine, so what? I think you're wrong. You think it's O.K. to cook an engine before stating it's running hot, good for you. I somehow doubt you'd tell your wife, girlfriend or whatever that it's O.K. to run your vehicle until the paint is discoloring or the engine seizes. I don't know maybe you would??
                                Would you tell your mom or dad to ignore the HOT engine lamp in their car? I don't know maybe you would.

My point is who cares if we disagree on a certain point(s)? Isn't this board about helping those that are asking? What's wrong with a little input even if it differs from your own opinion?

We have different opinions...............I've only been building and working with Polaris engines since 1992, the Polaris engine builders I've been talking to in the last couple of days also disagree with your definition of HOT, again so what. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find somebody that will say cook the paint and seize the engine, then you know it's running hot.

Hell there are mornings when 3 of us can't decide what gas to run for the day, ultimately after polite discussions and hearing each other out, we have an answer.

It's up to the readers to decide what information they use, hell maybe another guy will jump in here and tell us we're both wrong and his definition of hot is correct and we're both stupid amateurs.

Bottom line is Javier is looking to have a good reliable ski that will last longer than the warranty period with one of your engines in it. That's kind of hard to do when he has an overheat indicator going off (my opinion).

Why do I have interest in this thread? How about I'm one of the guys who said just get an SBT engine if you don't want to build it yourself. I hope this concludes this silly discussion and we can get Javier on the water with the confidence he deserves on his Polaris. :beer

Comment

Working...
                                X