Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overheating issue revisisted.. input from TS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overheating issue revisisted.. input from TS?

My 96 Sl900 Is The Same Way Retards The Timing, Some 96's Are Limited Rpm's, The Coolant Sensor Is In The Exhaust Right?

Comment

javert,

You may need to fabricate an aluminum cover plate to cover the opening where you removed the thermostat. Then drill and tap a hole in it to screw the sending unit into so the thermocoupler sits in the water jacket. As I an not familiar with your Polaris thermostat setup, you may need to be creative. I have seen where guys have made a sending unit work when spliced into the water exit line by fabricating a piece to put into the hose from store bought brass fittings and a brass log ( called a manifold). A simple brass manifold will have threaded openings at each end for your water exit lines and a third threaded hole to insert the sending unit.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Just a thought, I have had a friend who removed his thermostat on a 1050 sltx to clean it and just never put it back in. Well the first time out the ski over heated which it never did before. I know a guy who is very into polaris skis and knows the in and out of most models. I gave him a call and he said to reinstall the thermostat because the engine is designed to run with it, with out it the cooling water does not sit around the cylinders long enough to remove the heat. So he did reinstall it and all was back to normal. I do not know if this is your problem but I just wanted to let ya know about it.

Comment

That is because the thremostat works as a restrictor. All Watercraft cooling systems have water restrictors in the cooling system, wether it be a thermostat or just a reduced size opening in the exit water fitting.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks phil, it did it w/ and w/o the the thermostat in.. no change.

Waiting on a few parts to get in so I can start troubleshooting again.. kinda of chilly out tho, time to bust out the spring suit

Comment

Working...
            X