1991 WR500 Clicking/pinging noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 WR500 Clicking/pinging noise?

I have a 1991 WR500 that is exibiting a noise that I have had a hard time identifying. The best way to describe it is a loud clacking noise. It ocurrs each time the PTO cylinder fires. I have isolated it to the cylinder on the PTO side by starting it up and removing the plug wire to the PTO cylinder. With the PTO cylinder not firing the Mag cylinder fires on it's own and sounds fine. Once I reattach the plug wire for the cylinder on the PTO side, the clacking noise comes back. It is not what I would think of as pinging, so I doubt it is predetonation or deposits in the combustion chamber, but more of a clacking noise, like a hammer hitting the cylinder. I also tried switching the plug wires and the sound remains the same on the rear cylinder. So in my mind I have eliminated the possibility that it is timing, CDI, or coil problems. It appears to be isolated to the rear cylinder. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Re: 1991 WR500 Clicking/pinging noise?

Those are the types of noises that happen right before the engine breaks. Probably a wrist pin bearing or rod bearing getting ready to come completely apart...... Or, maybe it allerady has and the pieces are being slammed the into top of the piston and head.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks bill. I believe I will pull the engine from the craft and tear it down to see what I find. I will look for the simple solution along the way but will expect the more costly one. I believe I read somewhere that the PTO cylinder is the one that is typically first to go due to the increased stress placed on that side.

Comment

Thats what happened to my wr500 last season. I think its about to die. It keeps getting slower and slower each summer.

Comment

Actually, what usually goes first in that motor is the bearing on the very front of the crankshaft. If your motor sounds like it is grinding up rocks, replace that front bearing. It is located in a seperate housing that bolts to the front of the engine cases.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
          X