1998 gtxl keeps fouling plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 gtxl keeps fouling plugs

I have a 1998v gtxl, while installing a newly rebuilt motor I made the mistake of hooking the rave valve line to the water box regulator outlet. I ran the ski for five minutes before realizing what had happened. I switched the lines back then proceeded to pump the water out by removing the spark plugs and cranking the engine over etc. I also removed the rave valves and removed all the water from the bellows.
    I put brand new spark plugs in and ran the ski again, the ski ran fine but when I shut the ski off and try to restart it, it fouls the plugs instantly and I notice that there is water on the spark plugs so I put new spark plugs in the ski, it fires right up and runs fine until I cut it off again then it does the same thing. I have used 11 sets of plugs. Can you guys please help me, I don't know what else to do?????? Thanks Ian.

Re: 1998 gtxl keeps fouling plugs

This may have nothing to do with the water problem. Why did you have to replace the engine? Did you rebuild the carbs?

Comment

i bought the jet ski without an engine.then i puchased a rebuilt engine?

Comment

What is your compression? Honestly, you have probably done too much serious damage to your new engine. Water is NOT kind to an engine as it passes through. Did you get any kind of warranty with the engine?
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

150 mag 155 pto

Comment

is this good compression ? should the mag side compression be higher than pto ? i turned the ski over and i think i got all the water out of the ski ? i still cant get the ski over 5600 rpms?

Comment

Ideally, the compression should be identical in both clyinders, plus or minus 2 lbs.

Living by the compression guage can be misleading. It is only an indication that something is going south when you start seeing readings that are not equal, or very close together.

Dozens of times I have seen compression readings that were 150 psi or better and still see major sieze marks and scoring on pistons and clyinder walls. As long as the top ring is not stuck, you will see decent compression readings. But, that does not mean there is not some damaged pistons.

Start the motor and listen to the pistons. Do they rattle? If so, remove the head and inspect the clyinder walls.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

i thought 5% differents in the cylinders was ok?

Comment

Did you miss the part where I said "IDEALLY" ?

I consider 7.5 lbs difference between clyinders ( 5%) noteable when you are speaking of a Rotax motor using oem pistons and rings.
                  IMO, a 7.5 psi difference is significant in any pwc engine regardless of the brand of pistons in it, but especially if it has Rotax oem ELCO pistons with their L shaped top rings.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM

Comment

Is the fuel in the ski new, or is it from the old motor?.. Could the water be in the fuel tank ?..

Comment

put in new plugs and run out of the water for just a few seconds. then pull the plugs. if clean put back in and see if it restarts. if not pull the plugs and look for water. is water is found check the fuel. You also might check that the bolts on the exhaust joint over the carbs. 951 right?

The gasket can leak water or axhaust and still look good from the outside.
                      Attached Files

Comment

yes it is the 951 engine. i have already cleaned the tank and put new fuel in the tank.

Comment

Ok, back to the orginal question.

Let me ask you.
                          When you get the motor started, have you reved up the engine to maximum rpm ? The reason I asked this is if you flooded the motor with water, it would have a bunch of water in the bottom of the engine cases. In order to suck out all that water, the engine must be revved up or it will just lay in the cases and wet out every set of sparkplugs that you install.

BTW, if you blow those plugs off, they should still be fine to use, I do not see why you have to use 11 sets of sparkplugs?
                          Bill O'Neal <br>
                          WCM

Comment

Working...
                          X