HELP!!! R12x MELTDOWN!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! R12x MELTDOWN!!!

I have 2 "03s" a f12x and r12x, and I have to say that i was very impressed with all of the glowing reviews I read about them before my purchase and after buying them the performance and quality were top notch, these thing run quiet responsive and fast. Im a big guy 250lbs and my f12 flys, 62mph lake speed. My wifes 3 seater isnt to shabby either 60 mph lake speed, but let me get to it. These skis have about 40 hrs each 90% fresh water time about 10 % salt water time. It was last summer that we started having problems with my wifes 3 seater. Cruising the lake just fine she got on the throttle then all of the sudden it died. Now we have never owned skis before and I know a little about them. I do know they are basically fuel injected computer controlled 4 stroke car engines which makes any type of do it yourself maitenace near impossible. We were lucky to be on the lake I hooked her up and towed it to shore. After numerous phone calls and a heated debate with the dealer that i purchased them from which was 100 miles away, I quickly realized that I would have a easier time trying to get the space shuttle serviced!!! OK, it happens things break we continued our weekend on my two seater just fine. Fast forward taken to dealer took them a week to figure it out, turns out it was a loose exhaust hose clamp when she stomped the throttle it popped off and this obviously causes the thing not to run I guess!! 2 weeks later on the Eastern shore of MD put skis in wife gets about 200 yards out and you guessed it it dies!! After being stung by a jellyfish I hook her up and back to shore we go!! Now I shall not repeat all the explicatives I used on the way back, but there were a few!!! Load it on the trailer get on the phone again with the honda service and of course the only honda service center is 70 miles away and being its Sunday there closed. Called the dealer again after I calmed down talked to the service guy he guided me through a couple of checks a low a behold guess what popped off again, the exhaust hose so after a hour I did nothing short of super glueing the **** thing on!! and back out we went, problem solved right? WRONG!! Dec "05" haul myself, wife and 2 skis 1300 miles to Key West Florida. Very fist day there put the skis in ride for about 45 min no problems take a short break we head back out, I clear the bay slam the throttle and Im gone the only problem is my wife is nowhere in sight, OK slight moment of panick!! after back tracking i find her dead in the water, the ski that is this time she is using more explicatives than me!!:emotredf So before any phone calls are made guess what I checked first, yep off again only this time something new when I tried to reattach the hose I couldnt touch it because it was hot and In talking very hot I also noticed that the hose didnt pop of it literally melted off. After closer inspection the hose was fine It had melted the exhaust shroud down to a nub as to where the hose had nothing left to hold onto it runs through the hull to vent exhaust fumes, but wait its gets better. On top of that because I couldnt reattach the hose sea water was now pouring into the hull BIG PROBLEM! we were about a mile off shore and luckily I brought my marine radio just incase. I hooked it to mine as fast as I could and just made it back to shore. Now from what I have read on this forum they cannot sink but when your a mile out to sea and taking on water try to explain that!! OK now Im in Key West, FLorida Im think there has to be someplace around here that can help me right? WRONG:emotredf After my wonderful telephone debate... Again turns out there is NOBODY in Key WEst or in the Florida Keys for that matter tHAT can service Honda watercraft??? LOL what a Joke seems you can find people to work on **** near everything else, but a soon as you mention Honda watercraft you get this reaction like your speaking a different language. At this point Im thinking about towing it back out to sea and just sinking it!! But once again I call the dealership and calmly as possible explain the situation to which of course the have no answer all the could say was bring it by and they would look into it!!! So after a few adult beverages I calm down and the next day we deicide to take out my 2 seater which up to this point has given me no problems right? well like they say becareful what you wish for!! ME the wife and my trusty f12x get out of the bay, get on the throttle and take off like a bullet all is great with the world!! WRONG as we stop to admire the cruise ship docked at the pier she stalls UH OHHH!! get her started again give it some throttle and Im getting RPM's but no go OK Impeller is clogged nope so after doing what I could I limp back to shore at 3 mph in 2foot seas. This time no phone call I was going to immediately drive to KEy LArgo and trade them for RXP's but my wife talked me out of it. So what is the morale to my story?? Im not really sure, I have searched high and low and what little info I can find about Hondas is they are great this is the only site that seems to have anybody who knows anything about them.Just dropped them of at the dealer and told him not to call me until he has at least 3 hours on each one, but I still get that feeling they are useless. So guys PLEASE help questions comments come one come all. I love these skis, but my patience is wearing thin. At this point I have $18'000 paper weights and god knows if Ill ever trust them again.

Re: HELP!!! R12x MELTDOWN!!!

when exhaust hoses melt on Yamahas, it's because the small amount of water that's injected into the exhaust flow is interupted. Usually because the owner had ridden the ski up on a beach like a hovercraft, or in water less than a foot deep.

Comment

It sounds like you need to actually bring the skis to a dealer instead of trying to fix it yourself.

The exhaust overheating is most likely due to a clogged cooling line. Do you flush these skis regularly?

Also, what's the beef with the intake grate being clogged? That happens, and is a very easy fix.

Comment

I agree with the others. Probably something simple like a clogged cooling line.
        I guess you haven't heard of all the problems Sea doo is having with their
        super charger clutch. Keep your Honda

Comment

Another thing: No reason to get mad at not being able to find a dealer to fix your problem on a weekend, no notice.
          That's virtually impossible.

Comment

When the grate gets clogged I would always get power but no go! As for getting service I would just like to have a shop in the same area Im in no matter what day of the week it is. As I said before I love these skis but with no support locally and poor and uninformed service depts this can be extremely frustrating! Just by posting this thread this is the most info I have received yet! I just hope the service dept knows what you guys do. I will keep you posted on what the service dept comes back with.

Comment

When that grate gets clogged, you need to shut your motor off, get off the ski, and manually unclog it.

As far as finding a good service shop: Do your homework. Make sure you pick an outfit you are comfortable with and that has a good reputation (not a good sales rep...and good maintenance reputation!)

And keep in mind....in the midst of Summer, you will not be able to get your ski fixed by any shop without allowing at least a week time.

Comment

A week? More like a month around here (3months if warranty):( Thats why I do all my repairs myself and will probably never get rid on my GP. Newer PWc's with fuel injection etc have to be repaired by the dealer.

Comment

Ouch!
                  Definately seems like a plugged cooling system or exhaust. Maybe a bad or broken Cat? Just taking a swing at it. I have done nothing but spank a honda PWC! But logic would point me to check those out first.

Comment

Originally posted by MSP116
                    .....I have searched high and low and what little info I can find about Hondas is they are great this is the only site that seems to have anybody who knows anything about them.

dude, try http://www.pwctoday.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

that's were the big boyz play.

:)
                    If i got to understand, Please don't bother to explain<br /><br /><a href="http://www.garrigans.com/topfuel/" target="_blank"></a>

Comment

Working...
                    X