951 alignment!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 951 alignment!

I know it's been addressed many times, but after sitting here reading a zillion old post, all I've come to figure out is what I already knew, not much!

The adapters that come with the tool which I purchased from you guys have left me a little unsure, just wanted to verify. There is a solid adapter and an open one. I popped the plastic bushing off my coupler on a '99 XPL, and used the open adapter. Mounted the plate so the longest part of the shaft that bolts on goes toward the engine, the knurled part to the rear. Set the engine in place, aligned it with the shaft/adapter assembly, and viola, the adapter slid on perfect, no apparent deflection, and I had none of the original shims in place. What are the chances? I then put the alignment shaft almost as close as I could with out touching the coupler, slid the adapter back and forth onto the coupler, felt perfect. When the alignment shaft is pushed totally against the coupler, then pulled back, it slides right off with the adapter still in place.

Tell me this is correct!

Also, guessing the hole near the handle of the alignment tool is for hanging during storage?

I know you don't hear it much in the forums, but thanks for a great affordable tool. I have always had to haul skis to my local dealer 45 minutes away, then wait a few days, pay fifty bucks plus shims, drive back, then in the winter deal with road salt, well you get the picture. Just using this twice will pay for itself, plus I know it's right.

Steve
    Last edited by duckman1; 01-05-2006, 01:00 PM.

Re: 951 alignment!

Steve,
    If you can slide the shaft in and out that easily, you have it aligned. Just lock down your rear bearing carrier and put the driveline back into the ski.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks for your response Bill, no doubt I think I have it. But have you used the SBT tool? Just want to make sure I bolted the plate and shaft adapter/sleeve on right (not that there could really be a wrong way) and that the adapter for the alignment shaft I used was meant to be used as I did. I could see no other way unless I was supposed to pull the rear coupler. Hate to sound like an idiot, but I would rather ask now, than do it again later. (My fiance is tired of lifting that engine in and out all by herself) :)

Steve

Comment

I'll defer to Bryan on this question, as I have an OEM alignment tool myself.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Duck, you are correct, you're fine.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thank you both!

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X