Correct spark plug and gap for GTS'94

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct spark plug and gap for GTS'94

Hi, I've been serching but I got no info and perhaps somebody can help me on this:

What is the right spark plug and what gap sould I use for an old GTS 94? Some people tells me it's the NGK BR7 and others the BR8.

thanks for any information.

Ric
    Last edited by ricren; 01-11-2006, 09:39 AM.

Re: Correct spark plug and gap for GTS'94

Sea-Doo 587 engine requires BR7ES spark plug gapped at 0.022" to 0.024".
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm currently using BR8, so I'll change them.

Sorry for what will be a basic question (but I 'd like to learn): What happens to the engine when runs with the BR8 model?

Am I going to notice a change? In what way?

cheers

Ric

Comment

Originally posted by ricren

Sorry for what will be a basic question (but I 'd like to learn): What happens to the engine when runs with the BR8 model?

cheers

Ric
        Using the wrong plug can make it run too hot or too cold. Too cold can ruin the plug, too hot can ruin the plug and the engine.
        WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE PLUG IS TOO HOT?

It’s easy to overheat a plug in an engine. A mixture that’s too lean will do it, because the gasoline drawn into the firing chamber has a cooling effect. If there is not enough gasoline, there is not enough cooling.

Working the engine hard at slow speeds — such as running uphill in a deep sandwash — will do it, because the engine is generating a lot of heat but airflow for cooling is reduced by the slow speed of travel.

Using the wrong spark plug will also do it also. If you are not using the plug specified in your owner’s - manual, you might have problems.

When a spark plug gets too hot, the insulator may boil and bubble On examination, it will be plain that it has been too hot. Also, the metal electrodes may melt away and disappear. If any of these bad things happen, that’s good.

The worst result of a too-hot plug that fails-to destroy itself, is when it destroys the engine instead; this is called pre-ignition. If the tip of the plug becomes hot enough to ignite the fresh mixture being drawn into the cylinder, then the incoming mixture will start to burn without waiting for the spark to happen.

Ignition due to any hot spot in the cylinder begins before the proper time for ignition, so it is called pre-ignition. Anything in the combustion chamber which gets hot enough can cause pre-ignition, but typically the end of the spark plug is the cause. When the mixture is firing sooner than it should, that’s like advancing the spark too much, and no matter what causes it, early ignition makes engines heat up, causing pre-ignition. Eventually, something melts, which comes under the heading of a bad thing.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE PLUG IS TOO COLD?

You can install a plug which is too cold-running for the engine. Or you can have an engine that’s running way too cool, such as riding ten miles downhill on a frosty morning in the mountains.

Whatever the cause, if the nose of the plug is not hot enough, it will gradually accumulate deposits, known as fouling. During normal engine operation, residue from the combustion process hits the insulator nose. This may include carbon, unburned fuel and oil, and chemical additives present in both fuel and oil.

If the insulator nose and electrodes are hot enough, the combustion deposits will be continuously burned off by the heat of the plug. The ideal situation is to have the deposits burned off as fast as they accumulate, so the insulator nose stays fairly clean and free of deposits.

If the deposits accumulate on the plug because it is not reaching a high enough temperature to burn them off, the gradual accumulation will eventually short out, or foul, the plug. The fouling is electrically conductive and forms a path along the insulator, which connects the center electrode to the metal shell of the plug.

The spark current will flow along the fouling path and will not jump across the spark gap . The engine stops running, but all you have lost is a spark plug. Fouling due to a too-cold plug is much better than pre-ignition due to a too-hot plug.
        *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
        Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't talking about you

Comment

Originally posted by ricren

cheers

Ric
          If you are using the BR8ES spark plug and not the BR7ES there should be virtually no problems, except for the possibility of premature fouling of the spark plugs.......Your best choice is to use the higher heat range BR7ES plug in your engine, as it will be resistant to oil fouling, due to the higher combustion chamber temperatures, and the subsequent spark plug firing tip operating temperatures.........
          John Kubiak
          Las Vegas, Nevada
          Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

thanks again for this information.
            Can I ask a last question?
            Using a BR8 plug can change the working temperature of the engine somewhat making it work cooler?

cheers

Ric

Comment

In your case, it will result in the BR8ES spark plugs being more susceptable to fouling than the correct BR7ES plugs...

The temperatures being discussed are more relative to the firing tip temperature in relation to the plug's resistance to fouling, although there is a slight, noticeable increase in combustion chamber tempertures, especially in an engine with no other running problems.

You should be alright, but for optimum engine performance and the best spark plug life, you should ust the specified BR7ES spark plugs, gapped to 0.022" to 0.024"
              John Kubiak
              Las Vegas, Nevada
              Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

Got it. I'll change the plugs. Thanks.

Ric

Comment

I just bought the new plugs (BR7).
                  I'll keep the BR8 as spares. Which gap would be conveninet for them on this 580 engine? Same as the BR7?

Ric

Comment

.022 to .024
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM
                    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
                    X