2002 RX 951 top end.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 RX 951 top end.

I have just bought a 02 RX that was over heated on the top end, and now the compression is 92 on the Mag and 125 on the Pto. I know it must be rebuilt on the top end but should I trust the bottom end. ? It has 90 hours on it and it has been very well cared for.

Should I trust it or just take it down and do an inspection of all internal.

Re: 2002 RX 951 top end.

Chris, I would take it down and look at all of the internals. I bought an '03 RX-DI with 19hrs on it. At 23 it locked up and a replacement engine was put in. At 36hrs it started to lose compression. I took apart the top end and one of the piston rings and part of a piston had evaporated. Also, the exhaust hose between the pipe and muffler had a hole melted through it, which would look like it over-heated as well and could have caused the first engine failure. This engine may have been headed in the same direction. Seeing this happen with mine sounds a lot like what may be happening to yours right now. I need to figure out what is causing the over-heating before anything. If you run across something, pass it my direction. I would definitely take the time now to go through the motor before it gets worse.

Comment

Hello Greg,
      In your case I would just dubble check the inside water jacket of the exhaust header for a blockage. You would have the water blow out from the bypass and think that water flow is fine when in fact you have little or no flow to the exhaust and this would melt the cuppling hose.

In the case of my RX, the last owner let a frien ride it and when he got stuck on a sand bar at the lake he kept trying to move it like it was a four wheeler.

I to will be checking my exaust system for blockage. Just some thought for the issue you have had.
      Did you have this checked with engine replacment.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check that while it's apart. I don't think it was checked when the engine was replaced.

That's rough on it, letting it suck up sand in shallow water!

Comment

Only happend once, but as we know..... once is enough. But I got a good price on the ski. Might just sell as is, I have two others.

Comment

Working...
          X