98 Stx 1100 Tow Point.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Stx 1100 Tow Point.

Hi, Where is the correct place to hook tow rope for skiers? Is the stainless bar at the stern below the seat structually sound to tow a skier?

Thanks

Re: 98 Stx 1100 Tow Point.

Using the two hooks below the deck could allow the rope into the intake grate (suck the rope into the pump). There should be a tow hook below the seat.

Comment

Ive used the two hook below the deck without any problems, just form a triangle between the two hooks, and you should be alright. Just be sure to watch the rope so it doesnt get into the grate...I havnt had any problems yet (9oo zxi)
      My rides:
      1995 Kawasaki Zxi 900
      Beach house sponsons, OP ride plate/Intake grate and an R&D scoop grate for ocean Swirl Impeller.
      1999 xp limited (just got it Mods in progress)
      Decked 1996 Seadoo HX (cya at the races)
      1995 Seadoo SP x 2 (ones a parts boat)
      1990 Seadoo GT
      1991 Kawasaki 550 sx Stand up
      Intake grate, Ride plate, Impellers, custom paint job, and other goodies
      Riding Spots:
      Lakes and ocean in washington state and California

Comment

Thanks guys, I have been towing from the 2 hooks below the deck, just used a Y bridle it all works ok, and yes I have run over the rope and sucked it up the grate - you only do that once. But I would like to be able to use just a single rope.

I wanted to find out if I can tow from the bar below the seat but can't find any detail on whether its a proper tow point, I can't see any other use for it but it doesn't appear to be reinforced as well as the 2 hooks below the deck.

I phoned a city dealer and they said the correct tow point was the hole in the deck at the stern, but I really wanted to know where the people that are actually using ski's hooked up thier rope.

Comment

thats where I tow from with no problems yet on my 1100 stx and I tow tubes and wake boards ?? good luck and ride hard

Comment

Hey thanks Mike, what type of connection are you using with that hole? D shackle, rope, other ?

Comment

If you are towing a water skier, its a bit differnet from towing a towsurfer in the waves...so specific info helps give a bit better advice :) ..if towing in the waves a quick release shackle would be adviseable, but then most towsurfers are using rescue boards also attached to their stern decks.....the Kawasaki STX has the stainless steel tow cleat located near the underside of its seat grab handle for reboarding...its just a different design over other mfg. hulls. I think that bow hole you were told to use is for contact for tie downs for trailering...as you want your towing line up as high as possible from the water line...

Comment

Shawn, yes it is for tow surfing, and as no one else here is riding an stx so I have nothing to compare it to.

Using the 2 stern hooks blow the deck works ok and the ski handles well enough but I really want to get rid of the Y bridle and fittings.

The stainless steel bar/ cleat below the grab handle looks like a tow point to me, but when I looked at the inside mounting there isn't as much reinforcing as there is for the below deck stern hooks.

Also the dealer said they wouldn't recommend towing an adult from that point ( I am not convinced the dealer would even know) But the dealer did say to tow from the hole in the stern deck.

I agree with you, the hole in the deck looks more for securing during travel and looks to me that it could be damaged easily by useing it as a tow point.

So the question is do I use the stainless bar below the grab handle, and risk damage or do I continue to use the Y bridle.

Comment

Heya email me @ k38rescue@aol.com
                  I may have a pic to send you...that may help....I understand your dilemma...

Comment

Oh by the way are you Shawn Alladio from the ISA and K38 ?

OK thanks you beat me to it.
                    Last edited by kracker; 01-19-2006, 12:27 AM. Reason: Updated

Comment

G'day Kracker, I have the same problem with my 98 STX. Towing by the stern hooks with a bridle works OK, but rope drag in the water is a pain, but worst of all running over the rope was costly. Sheared Pump Shaft in the impeller thread, which in turn eventual stripped thread and chewed out impeller against pump mount (shoe). Didn't know it had sheared until it let go. I was thinking of reinforcing where the stainless bar is and removing bar to fit a ski hook. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Comment

Hi Patrat, I pulled the airbox out from the rear of the hull so I could get a good look at how the bar is mounted, it didn't look to have much glass reinforcing there, but like you I'm thinking of reinforcing it somehow and fitting a single tow hook, not really sur yet what to use as a backing, maybe a peice of aluminium, or even plywood . With all the STX 1100's running around I thought someone may have had a definitive answer.

Comment

I would think you could easily gin up a short rope with an eye-loop in it out of a piece of old ski rope, add a knot and a metal washer large enough to keep it from pulling through the hole in the deck. Thread the loop down through the hole and clip your tow-rope to it. Bingo! Cheap and pretty darn easy to put on or take off.

Just a thought.

jim
                          '98 Yamaha GP1200<br />'98 Kawasaki 1100 STX

Comment

Yep jaafallon, that would be easier enough, and I may still do that, its the constant scuffing from the rope on the tail that put me off, and still I would like to pull from higher. Has your STX got the stainless bar under the seat ?

Comment

Originally posted by kracker
                              ...Has your STX got the stainless bar under the seat ?
                              Yes it does. I appears that it is set up for towing as the owners manual states:

"When towing a water skier, use the towing hook at the middle of the reboarding grip located under the rear end of the seat. When towing another watercraft secure the tow line to the towing eyes at the stern." pg 51

The manual shows a picture of the stainless steel bar with the "hook" in the middle of it as well. Hope this helps.

jim
                              '98 Yamaha GP1200<br />'98 Kawasaki 1100 STX

Comment

Working...
                              X